71 Camper for the Upper Midwest

Buy & Sell all your Air-Cooled vehicles here! VW, Porsche, etc...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

EskimoTom
I'm New!

71 Camper for the Upper Midwest

Post by EskimoTom » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Greetings IAC,
This may be of interest for those of you in the Upper Midwest where good running 1971 VW campers for sale are far and few between. Colin has been here twice, once in 2016 & again July 3rd 2019 helping me get "Rusty" into good running condition. If you're interested and you mention Itinerant Air-Cooled, I'll knock $1,000 off the asking price, which brings it to what I believe is a fair deal.

https://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/d/co ... 34799.html

I bought this from Rich Meyer of the Twin Cities VW Club, primarily to mess around with and to learn about the beetle style motor while my '67 project bus continues restoration. I also had a deep hole in my soul, after selling my chrome yellow '76 camper to a nice young couple in Colorado 10 years ago. I need the garage space for my 8N tractor & the proceeds to continue my '67 project.

Thanks for looking and pass it on. Colin's straight forward assessment in 2016, went something to the effect of: "It's a good bus above the rust line." Following his advice, I did wire brush lots of the loose rust underneath, coated the spots with Marhyde, then some black oil based paint. When I bought it I gave the frame, front axle and other heavy metal bits a good prodding with a screwdriver and found nothing I feared.

Colin test drove it on his last visit and I believe he found it acceptable.
1971 Camper. Sportmobile. "Rusty"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 71 Camper for the Upper Midwest

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:26 pm

EskimoTom wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Greetings IAC,
If you're interested and you mention Itinerant Air-Cooled, I'll knock $1,000 off the asking price, which brings it to what I believe is a fair deal.

Colin test drove it on his last visit and I believe he found it acceptable.
I think it is a lovely little critter with a few hang-ups here and there that can be resolved. The rust, of course, must be stopped dead in its tracks NOW, then the little mechanical issues here and there but it is a Volkswagen with that Volkswagen DNA showing through.

I think $1,000.00 off the asking price is too severe. These cars are only appreciating.
"Mention Itinerant Air-Cooled and you get a free business card and bus bumper sticker!"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

EskimoTom
I'm New!

Re: 71 Camper for the Upper Midwest - SOLD 7/2019

Post by EskimoTom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:46 am

Gone one week after Colin's visit.
1971 Camper. Sportmobile. "Rusty"

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Re: 71 Camper for the Upper Midwest

Post by hippiewannabe » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:03 pm

This posting has been deleted by its author.
All y'all, please remember to copy and paste the text from CL ads to save the info for posterity, as they all eventually turn in to a pumpkin.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 71 Camper for the Upper Midwest - SOLD 7/2019

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:52 pm

EskimoTom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:46 am
Gone one week after Colin's visit.

Did you leave an Itinerant Air-Cooled business card or hand scrawled note in the glovebox?
Oh, I certainkly hope so.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles