2nd annual Deschutes Beer Round up..

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bean5446
Getting Hooked!

Post by bean5446 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 pm

spiffy wrote:bean...you going to be around bend next week? We may be coming thru.
We'll be here, when are you thinking? Love to get together, let me know.
Bean
1980 Volvo 245 DL, Omar, 397000 miles.
-------------------------------------------------
1987 Vanagon Syncro, Syncro, re-homed.
1984 Vanagon GL Totoro, re-homed.
-------------------------------------------------
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. - T.S. Eliot

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Holy jeehosefats...this gon' be good.

Gonna bring another of by buddies home fixin's and ???

Guinness and other stouts are best served warm, IMO.

Kind of like chocolate, a savored flavor. Great on a cold night.

Any of the pales ales are nice on hot sunny days, crisp and refreshing.

gonna be another nice tasting sesh, 'tell you whut....
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed May 27, 2009 8:54 am

bean5446 wrote:
spiffy wrote:bean...you going to be around bend next week? We may be coming thru.
We'll be here, when are you thinking? Love to get together, let me know.
Earlier in the week, I'll pm you tonight after work so we can exchange #'s etc.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:09 am

I have narrowed my selection of excellent IPAs for the tasting at Maupin down a bit. This taste testing is hard work. But somebody's got to do it.

So here are a couple of winners in my book that I will bring to Maupin:

1) Titan IPA by the Great Divide Brewery in Denver Colorado. I put this one right up there by Inversion Ale from Deschutes Brewing Co.

2) Dick's IPA by Dick's Brewing Co. in Centralia, WA of all places. It is a little lighter for an IPA (with only 5% Alc), but really well balanced. An excellent IPA to drink on hot summer days. If anyone is coming to Maupin from Seattle, they should pick up a growler or two of this stuff on the way (hint, hint).

I still have several here to try including Red Chair and Hop Henge by Deschutes, and a Sockeye Red IPA by Midnight Sun Brewing Co in Anchorage Alaska.

Others I have tried that didn't make my cut, but are available for me to bring if you know you want them, are:

60 Minute IPA and 90 Minute Imperial IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Milton Delaware.

Hercules IPA from the Great Divide Brewery (this beer had 10% Alc and over 85 IBUs, plus it seemed malty to the point of being syrup - overkill IMHO).

I also tried a Boont ESB from Anderson Valley Brewing Co in Medocino California. It is more of a copper/red bitter than an IPA. It was very good, though. I can include some if there is interest.

That's all for now from taste test headquarters. Gotta get back to 'work.' The fridge is calling.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:56 am

Satch, you are one of the diamonds. Such sacrifice, such determination in the face of these difficult decisions.

You are to be commended.

I too have eliminated over 60 brews to bring as a taster. I will continue the elimination process until I find the perfect one...

It's just how I roll. :pirate:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:45 am

I consider the the entire year a build up to this tasting. I train, I taste, I have another. The true athlete needs to be in prime condition.

:drunken:

-John
Keep it acoustic.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:53 am

LiveonJG wrote:I consider the the entire year a build up to this tasting. I train, I taste, I have another. The true athlete needs to be in prime condition.

:drunken:

-John
Yeah, but this is like the Tour d'France of tastings. You need to move the training intensity up a notch or two (or three), and make sure you peak at just the right time.

Tim

AirCooledNut
Getting Hooked!

Post by AirCooledNut » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:59 pm

zblair wrote:
byproxy wrote: We had a few Irish boys with us, so I dared to try it. I knew they'd take it off my hands if I didn't like it.

Cindy
You might have tried Harp - it's a lager but not bad either for beer. You know what? I just realized that since we're driving I can actually bring some hard liquor for my refreshment. MMMMMMMMMMMM top shelf tequila shots :cherry:

So that's whiskey with Jasan and Gypsie and tequila with any takers?! I'll find Neal for that I think for belated birthday revelry. Unless he's stickin to brews. Jeffrey won't go there (hard liquor) and with all of the brews there for him to try, why should he? :drunken:
I'm not a beer connoisseur but I do enjoy a good scotch or Irish whiskey :wink: We may need a hard-liquor contingent! :brave:
Toby http://www.aircoolednut.com/
Did I mention that I'm an original Darksider?
DDB Forum
'72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top; '76 VW Riviera Sundowner; '95 VW Jetta GL, Solo II EP; '81 Goldwing 1100
http://www.frappr.com/type3volkswagenowners & http://www.type3registry.com/

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:08 pm

AirCooledNut wrote:
zblair wrote:
byproxy wrote: We had a few Irish boys with us, so I dared to try it. I knew they'd take it off my hands if I didn't like it.

Cindy
You might have tried Harp - it's a lager but not bad either for beer. You know what? I just realized that since we're driving I can actually bring some hard liquor for my refreshment. MMMMMMMMMMMM top shelf tequila shots :cherry:

So that's whiskey with Jasan and Gypsie and tequila with any takers?! I'll find Neal for that I think for belated birthday revelry. Unless he's stickin to brews. Jeffrey won't go there (hard liquor) and with all of the brews there for him to try, why should he? :drunken:
I'm not a beer connoisseur but I do enjoy a good scotch or Irish whiskey :wink: We may need a hard-liquor contingent! :brave:
I'll bring The Macallan 12. :drunken:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:14 pm

AirCooledNut wrote:
zblair wrote:

Cindy

I have that somewhat covered too. See the comments about the single malt scotch I brought and shared at Badger Creek camp out.

Scotch is, after all, just distilled beer. Right?

Tim

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Right. Gypsie better camp closer to the potties than he's planning :geek:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Just went through another round of contenders trying to separate the wheat from the chaff in the IPA contest. Let me tell you, this is brutally hard work.

I tried the Red Chair and Hop Henge IPAs from Deschutes. Red Chair is good, very drinkable, but not as balanced (and by balanced, I mean more hops than malt) as Inversion ale. Hop Henge was too malty, thick, and almost syrupy. Too bad, as I was thinking it would be the top of the heap.

I tried an organic IPA by Fish Tail brewery. Nothing special. Then one from Healdsburg, CA called Racer 5 that had a really off taste. Not so good. Then another one from I forget that was, well, forgettable. The winner in this round-up, however. was Hop Ottin by the Anderson Valley Brewing Co. in Mendocino, CA. Very nice.

So the final line up for me will be the following:

Dick's IPA from Centralia, WA
Titan IPA from Great Divide Brewery in Denver
Hop Ottin IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Co
Boont ESB also from Anderson Valley Brewing Co.

They all come in 12 oz bottles, but I will try to bring a six pack of each. You should try to bring your cup.

Oh, yeah, and I am bringing a bottle of Auchentoshan single malt whiskey.

Cheers, Tim

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 pm

satchmo wrote:Just went through another round of contenders trying to separate the wheat from the chaff in the IPA contest. Let me tell you, this is brutally hard work.

I tried the Red Chair and Hop Henge IPAs from Deschutes. Red Chair is good, very drinkable, but not as balanced (and by balanced, I mean more hops than malt) as Inversion ale. Hop Henge was too malty, thick, and almost syrupy. Too bad, as I was thinking it would be the top of the heap.

I tried an organic IPA by Fish Tail brewery. Nothing special. Then one from Healdsburg, CA called Racer 5 that had a really off taste. Not so good. Then another one from I forget that was, well, forgettable. The winner in this round-up, however. was Hop Ottin by the Anderson Valley Brewing Co. in Mendocino, CA. Very nice.

They all come in 12 oz bottles, but I will try to bring a six pack of each. You should try to bring your cup.

Cheers, Tim
Would someone please tell me where this gathering is?
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 pm

satchmo wrote: See the comments about the single malt scotch I brought and shared at Badger Creek camp out.

Scotch is, after all, just distilled beer. Right?

Tim
What happened to that bottle? You can't drive with open liquor, right? Hammy and me were lookin' for that when the blizzard moved in.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:07 pm

deschutestrout wrote:
satchmo wrote:Just went through another round of contenders trying to separate the wheat from the chaff in the IPA contest. Let me tell you, this is brutally hard work.

Cheers, Tim
Would someone please tell me where this gathering is?
Your place. Didn't anyone tell you?

Tim