To Canada From Maupin, Ay?

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

To Canada From Maupin, Ay?

Post by glasseye » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 pm

OK, so beer tasting, music, sleep.

Then Bookwus and this other guy (who is that? He introduced himself, but I forget) :pale: They are testing out a full wiper assy. Motor, linkage, the lot. Bookwus has a battery and a regulated power supply in the back of his bus and very carefully they attach wires and BOINGGGG! The wipers start wiping thin air. Amazing!

Then Colin explains in complex detail what's wrong with Bookwus' shift linkage and how to fix it.

Then satchmo, mary and John (satchmo's son, remember?) and I set out for home, with a quick stop in Shaniko. The obligatory photo-op at some extinct volcano or other (easterners take note: the PNW has a half dozen or so of these)

satchmo and Mary need to take windshield cleaning lessons from amskeptic and I. We're both friggin' anal about clean glass.

Then we went to Shaniko, where we saw this:

and this:

and on the way out of Shaniko, bound for Fossil, this:

We had a candy and bubble gum swap meet, John departed for Portland and the satchmo/mary/glasseye parade continued to Fossil, OR, where we said sad farewells. :pale:

I stopped here

and here

Where I considered my next move, which was an old favourite road from Spray, OR to Heppner, OR. A delightful, empty piece of totally inspiring landscapes that ended here, at sunset.

Then, about an hour after sunset, just east of Heppner, I shot this, my technical tour de force of the trip.

The setting is the side of a reservoir where I spent the night. The time is about an hour after sunset. The lighting is the full moon (my shadow on the asphalt) a passing car (my other shadow on the bus' passenger door, a greenish LED flashlight sitting on the sink, bouncing off the white headliner and another LED flashlight in the cab. Five frames, composited with a special software tool called "Photomatix", a novel bit of code that solves a few of photography's oldest problems. Neat, eh?

The next morning, I travelled north, intending to cross back in to Washington via the Blue Mountains, but a persistent engine miss forced me to return to satchmo's clinic in Pullman where a marathon diagnosis session resolved the miss when we replaced the condensor.

A most successful trip in all regards. The the bus, the scenery, the weather, the beer and the friends. O, yes! The friends.

Thank you all for a wonderful week. :cheers: Indelible memories.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 pm

That last shot is a tour de force of accidental lighting tech. Holy air-cooled man with a camera! But was it an accident?

pjalau
Getting Hooked!

Post by pjalau » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:09 pm

The guy testing the wiper was me, I was testing it so I could give it to Mitch and Melissa - Ludwig Camper van Beethovens drivers. They insisted on buying it, but bottom line, they needed a wiper motor and now they have one.

HDR - in moonlight - no kidding technical tour de force. Color me envious. Hell, color me anything as long as you use that camera - I have no doubt that I will look good.

Next year, you should give a photo class. ;)

turk

Post by turk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 am

Okay, good to see you. Welcome to this forum pjalau. And Bookwus? Who is who there? Damn straight about glasseye's photos. Transcendental shite. I want prints.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:58 am

ankrayablah!!

Amazing, I thought my little Canon's 15 second long shutter was special I've been schooled :geek:

Anytime you feel like coming down to Tacoma let us know Peter. Check out the San Juan trip in the camping forum, should be a grand event.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:41 am

Hiya All
pjalau wrote:.......Next year, you should give a photo class. ;)
No kidding!

And Turk, Bookwus is the old fart in the Brooklyn Dodgers ballcap.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:53 am

Your talent is a testament to your gift Glasseye. I LOVE your glass eye and the perspective you use. Bravo!

On a side note, before I realized that glass eye meant the lens of your camera, I kept thinking glasseye the fish :cyclopsani: Doh! You'd like the way the fish looks btw. It's RED! I just learned that it's a carnivore too. Glasseye Squirrelfish.

Sounds like the name to a Dead song, don't it? :cherry:

1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:36 am

OMG! How the hell did you get such vibrant colors in that picture of Glasseye looking at his bus?? I just love it.

Please share your secrets with a 'point-n-shoot' fotographer...

:) Elaine

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:26 am

CoPilot wrote:OMG! How the hell did you get such vibrant colors in that picture of Glasseye looking at his bus?? I just love it.

Please share your secrets with a 'point-n-shoot' fotographer...

:) Elaine
Hee, hee. Bask, bask.
( in the radiant heat of y'all's praise :cherry: )

I have no secrets. Well, no photo secrets anyway. Colin knows the biggest secret. The way to learn to shoot is to shoot. Colin's a great photographer because he actually takes the time to make pictures.

Elaine, the me-looking-at-my-bus shot is a composite of five images, each one at a different exposure, depending on which part of the picture you're looking at. The sunset, for example, is the brightest part and took about 1 second. To record the interior of the bus took over a minute. I hadda hold very still, sitting there. :flower:

Photography is way more fun than golf.

pjalau
Getting Hooked!

Post by pjalau » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:58 am

What Glass Eye has done is called High Dynamic Range Imaging:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

It's a well used trick among film photographers (and by "trick", I mean skill and tool of the trade) to give you those sweeping landscapes with balanced light.

There are Flikr groups dedicated to the art and craft, such as this one:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/

It isn't easy to do, which makes Petes picture so impressive.

Skillz. Mad Skillz.

-P

bean5446
Getting Hooked!

Post by bean5446 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 am

Hey Glasseye! It's Brendan, the coffee roaster. Glad to hear you made it back, with only a small hiccup, or miss in the case. Your pictures are incredible, your bus is great! Hope to run into you again soon. I'm trying to figure out how we can swing a trip up to the Palouse, quite beautiful, from there Canada's not too far. :)

bean

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:27 am

Not to impose on your stunning photo work Glasseye but I'd like to get a pro's opinion of one of my first real attempts at HDR. Whataya think?

This is at Diamond Lake while you guys were enjoying Maupin. The moon was so bright that it over exposed even on the lowest setting. Looks more like the sun.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Westy78 wrote:Not to impose on your stunning photo work Glasseye but I'd like to get a pro's opinion of one of my first real attempts at HDR. Whataya think?

This is at Diamond Lake while you guys were enjoying Maupin. The moon was so bright that it over exposed even on the lowest setting. Looks more like the sun.

Beauty! The trouble is, if the moon is correctly exposed, it almost looks like a composite where you take a moon shot and put it into another image. That's one of the reasons I avoided the moon in my lakeside image.

If you think about it, the exposure for the full moon is roughly the same as the exposure for a sunny day on the beach. They're both lit by the same source.

Yours looks darn good to me. I like the way you didn't go for detail in the shadows. The blackness tells me it's night, for sure.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Does this one hold any technical merit?

Credit to Gypsie who was the ghost with the flash light.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:28 pm

That's great! Much harder than spelling "Merry Christmas". How many takes to get it right? :cherry:

Got any of that stuff left? :drunken: