To Maupin from Canada, Ay?

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 am

GREAT to meet and talk with you Peter, that bus of yours is a real sweetheart.

Hope the rest of your travels go well, all I can say is I'm jealous

:geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm

I hear Peter lost his pop-top virginity. It was great meeting ya, wished we'd had more time, but then I always wish I had more time to get to know folks.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:52 am

turk wrote:Nice job glasseye. Is that wheat? The color is great. I always like your skies too. The interior shot of your bus is super. Where were you parked? On the side of a road? I always like roadside camping. I only get away with it in the most remote areas, or truck pull-offs, or truckstops, or behind a gas station with permission.
My skies? I wish I could take credit. Most "landscape" pictures are really weather pictures.

Early wheat it is, along a back road in the Palouse. America's Tuscany. You heard it here first. :blackeye:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:06 pm

By the end day one, I was toast. I'd driven about 300 miles, most of it in horrid weather and shot my face off on Steptoe Butte in 40 mph winds. Here's what I saw at sunset from this hill above the Palouse.

It's a beautiful spot, studded with communications gear and other photographers. No less than three photo-workshops were operating there that night. They departed, crammed in their various rented SUVs, several looking wistfully at my bus. :cherry:

The next day, the weather improved and I did a little sight-seeing.

Then, departing Pullman for satchmo's, I missed the gas station, did a U-turn in a gravel truck parking lot and came across this:

"Piece of Crap!", I yelled. "Get an Asstro!", and I got the peace sign in reply. =D>

Following a late-night bullshitting session with satcmo and amskeptic (Mary doesn't bullshit) I awoke at 0600 to this splendid view.

Later on, this one:

And so we departed for Maupin.

Now, I'm a conservative driver, no question. A wuss. A pussy, even. But what followed began bad and got steadily worse. The stormy weather was replaced by winds. High ones and gusty. From all directions at once. amskeptic and satchmo (otherwise known as The Leadfoot Boys) set a pace that left my teeth clenched and my knuckles white as I learned how a bus behaves in wind. SCAIRT! :pale:

In the calm bits, it was quite nice.

But by the time we reached the Columbia Gorge a few hours later, I was a worn out shell of a man. Headwinds of at least 20 mph attacked us all the way to The Dalles, but The Leadfoot Boys were undeterred. With the speedo indicating 65, I pressed on, straight into the wind, with the pedal more or less to the metal and with sweaty palms and pounding heart. When I finally caught them at a fuel stop in The Dalles, Colin was reading the LFB's oil temps with his Darth Vader gun. We all read 220 degrees, so I guess the Dorper passed the test. Me? I dunno. I'm still shaking.

The first morning in Maupin, our neighbour, Brendan appeared at our campsite. "I'm a coffee roaster from Bend", he introduced himself, carrying a liter-sized, chrome French Press unit, chock full of fresh coffee. "My wife's got morning sickness and doesn't want any of this. Do you want some?". I nearly got killed in the rush.

The now-famous Vanagon looked like this at as they plunged into the problem

Meanwhile, we got on with the Beer Tasting.

I learned a LOT. :cheers:

The big Isuzu was one of my favourites. Now THAT'S what I call a sports utility vehicle. :bounce:

And then, we all went to bed. :flower:

More later.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Those first few shots (especially the first) are INCREDIBLE!!! =D>

So much depth to them....ah, makes me wanna go on another trip. Too bad I can't come up with an Itinerant Beer Drinking gig.

Glad to see that both your eyes are original and that one is not, well, as one of our esteemed friends would say 'glass'. :blackeye:

nyuck nyuck nyuck nyuck....
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Great photos! The landscapes are ethereal, what a treat to share your gift even if it is online :flower:

I do have one request: can you please name who is in the people photos? I recognized Colin and Tim and Mary, but not clear on the rest and wanna be. Thanks!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:32 pm

glasseye, i like your landscape stuff...very cool !
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:59 pm

Hiya Glass,

Now, don't get me wrong............like the rest of the crowd I'm REALLY impressed with your first couple of pics. But honestly, that picture taken from up on the hill looking at that green valley with the red bus in the foreground is just about perfect. From a composition standpoint it is just fantastic.

Wow!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:51 pm

glasseye wrote:
turk wrote:Nice job glasseye. Is that wheat? The color is great. I always like your skies too. The interior shot of your bus is super. Where were you parked? On the side of a road? I always like roadside camping. I only get away with it in the most remote areas, or truck pull-offs, or truckstops, or behind a gas station with permission.
My skies? I wish I could take credit. Most "landscape" pictures are really weather pictures.

Early wheat it is, along a back road in the Palouse. America's Tuscany. You heard it here first. :blackeye:
Well, nobody can take credit for the weather (as far as I know) but your composition and eye and technique can for capturing the shots. Those are like paintings.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 pm

The Palouse is pretty amazing. Heard it here first.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Fantastic pics Peter! The mobile photo clinic would be great if you could teach me how to take pictures like that.
spiffy wrote:Glad to see that both your eyes are original and that one is not, well, as one of our esteemed friends would say 'glass'. :blackeye:
So I'm a romantic, sue me.

-John
Keep it acoustic.