April campout in Covelo!

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks everyone for coming to visit! This was one of the most perfect Covelo weekends I have ever experienced. Nothing like sitting around a Pit-2-Go with good company, beer, and barbequed shrimp. Let's do it again next year!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:38 am

"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:16 am

Now this video was not necessary! Now I have to go lather down with some Burt's Bees. :pale: :pukeleft:

hehehe

Nice vids.

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:23 am

The property was gorgeous, but everywhere other than road or where Hans has cleared is poison oak. That and there is almost no level ground. Next time I'm bringing some blocks.

Well worth the drive, the vertigo, and the itch. The river is spectacular, the view stunning, the roads exciting, and the people great.

Pit-2-Go, oh fo' sho'!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:27 am

covelo wrote:Thanks everyone for coming to visit! This was one of the most perfect Covelo weekends I have ever experienced. Nothing like sitting around a Pit-2-Go with good company, beer, and barbequed shrimp. Let's do it again next year!
It was a perfect weekend, thank you for making it happen.

Oh yeah, BTW we have to get together soon so I can return your gate key....and your book...and your chili pot, and other assorted pots and pans.....and your camping chair......and your portable lantern..... :geek:
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:00 pm

The weekend was fun! We left the Bay Area around 5pm and suprisingly enough the traffic wasn't that bad. Made a few stops for fuel and food in Healdsburg and continued North for the 162. The 28 miles on the 162 was really a test of nerves. Pretty cork screwy and twisty turny putting 3rd gear...... 4th gear to the test. But we found our way evenutally to the gate just after the one lane bridge. Hans met us almost at the same time when Jason and Bob showed. We drove down the long dusty road to Han's land. Han's live in a pretty remote area and I'll leave it at that. That night we set up and had some dinner before beading down for the night. Next morning I got up and set up camp.

That's my wife (Keverne) during morning coffee.

The Hippo wanted to go solo but the Girlfriend insisted she go. Meet Tasha!

Bob and Jason's rigs

Jason's Syncro with the stylie diamond plated box.

Dylan and Bob during morning coffee.

In the afternoon we all decieded to go down to the river and hang out. The hippo was out with Tash, doing what I have no clue. :joker:

Back from the river just hangin around camp.

Rachel's bus with her customized screen. Very nice!

The "PIT TO GO" was the real deal this weekend. Sailor coming up big with this little bonus.

Tasha wanted to ride on top of the Hippo on the way home. Hippoback as she called it. We eventually persuaded her to come back in. Crazy little hippo.

Sailor in the rearview.

Before we all called it a weekend we stopped at the eel river.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Thanks Hans..excellent weekend..thoroughly enjoyed that little piece of earth up there. I got to sleep in the 'Teahouse' that Hans had somehow reconstructed on a perch overlooking pastoral valley and hills with panoramic windows....excellent spot to sleep and to wake up to.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Anyone get a pic of/from the teahouse? Oh darn, guess yous guys are gonna have to come out and see it in person next time....

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:00 pm

speakin' of pics...

And what is that in the bush? It's Hans!
And he has a chainsaw! Ahhh!

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:01 pm

We had to find this driveway in the dark!

Image[/i]

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:09 pm

wow. what can I say? beautiful, stunning. wish I was there. a piece of land like that is my dream. That wood burning hot tub is just like the one I want. For now I have a homemade solar heater and plastic tub that works well half the year. Hans, is that a Madrone you are cutting!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!?????? :boxing: Sorry, they are your trees, but my tree friends and I consider them rare and special (mostly because they won't grow down here).
71 bus, 74 westy

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Hans would never hurt a beautiful madrone. He was putting it out of its misery. Poor thing fell over on top of a sapling, and Hans wanted to remove it so the sapling could grow. :flower:

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:25 pm

DjEep wrote:Hans would never hurt a beautiful madrone. He was putting it out of its misery. Poor thing fell over on top of a sapling, and Hans wanted to remove it so the sapling could grow. :flower:
cool, glad to hear it
71 bus, 74 westy

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:20 pm

Birdibus wrote:wow. what can I say? beautiful, stunning. wish I was there. a piece of land like that is my dream. That wood burning hot tub is just like the one I want. For now I have a homemade solar heater and plastic tub that works well half the year. Hans, is that a Madrone you are cutting!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!?????? :boxing: Sorry, they are your trees, but my tree friends and I consider them rare and special (mostly because they won't grow down here).
You couldn't possibly think that someone like Hans would put on chain sawing chaps, a hard hat with hearing protection, and teva sandals, and attack a living Madrone tree just to watch it die!?!?!?!

Just being sarcastic, but the reason I brought the pit 2 go is because Hans didn't want us to start a big fire and scar the earth where we were camping at. He totally respects his land and like Dj said, he was clearing a tree that had fallen and was letting the new life below that one grow.

But the sight of him with all the protection gear, and wearing shorts and sandals, was pretty funny. I hope you and yours can make it there next year and see his property. Just a little slice of heaven in the hills....although the folks in town could use a refresher coarse in gas station line etiquette
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:08 pm

sailorkh wrote:although the folks in town could use a refresher coarse in gas station line etiquette
That's funny! I forgot to warn you about the gas station. That place brings out the worst in the Covelo population. No money and gas is seriously expensive there!

Yes, that madrone had blown over this winter and was crushing a young douglas fir. I didn't want to have to cut it up when it's 100 degrees out there next month.

Glad everyone had a good time!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles