True Canadian Winter Bus Campout..NOW WITH PICS!!

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

True Canadian Winter Bus Campout..NOW WITH PICS!!

Post by Vdubtech » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:46 am

Ok all you folks in the northeast....who's gonna come and spend a nice relaxing weekend of camping in the Bus....in February...in Canada with me?? I am definitely going....gonna pack the Bus up with some friends and make the trip from Syracuse. My younger sister will be going so she gets to sleep in the Bus...I'll be tenting it. Already bought a nice big cot so I am up off the ground...couple of sleeping bags and an electric space heater and I'll be good to go. Come on now I know there are some of you on here from Canada....Ny, Ohio, PA, that can make this trip. I don't care how cold it is out...fire is always hot. Here's a link to the campout website (hosted by Gregg Potts) and some pics of the past two year's events. Come on....get that Bus out into the snow and have some fun!!

http://www.pottsfamily.ca/The_Bug_Pack/TCWBC/

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Well...the TCWBC is only a few days away. I'm getting my stuff gathered...changed the oil in the Bus, replaced the plugs cap and rotor as well as the belt. Took her today for a bath and I'll spend some time this week getting her packed up. We leave Friday morning and about a 4 to 4.5 hour drive from here to there. Weather looks good. Cold...but that's to be expected in Canada in February. I'm so ready for some time behind the wheel of the Bus.....

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Did you go on this?

Post by IFBwax » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:30 pm

What happend?
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Re: Did you go on this?

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:40 am

IFBwax wrote:What happend?
Not sure what you mean...nothing happened yet, the campout is this weekend.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:59 am

Sorry that was a stupid response wasn't it. I think part of it got caught off either at my computer or in my brain. I just was wondering if this had happened yet and how it went. Share some pictures if you can after you get back. Wish I lived closer!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:30 am

Hey IFB, we are trying to get a NW trip together this March....you live perty close to us! :bom:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:14 pm

Where y'all going? Michele is going to Vegas for a girls weekend around the 9, 10, 11 of March or whatever that Friday-Sun.. I have the girls... and Friday off. :bounce:

Frank Bama

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:51 pm

IFBwax wrote:Sorry that was a stupid response wasn't it. I think part of it got caught off either at my computer or in my brain. I just was wondering if this had happened yet and how it went. Share some pictures if you can after you get back. Wish I lived closer!
No problem...I'm getting stuff together and packing the Bus tonight for a mid morning departure. I will definitely take a lot of pics and post them up when I return on Sunday. We got two feet of snow here yesterday...it's cold and windy. This very well may suck...but at least 40 years from now I can look back and say I did it....talk to y'all on Sunday!!

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:14 pm

I'm officially thawed out after returning home from the True Canadian Winter Bus Campout. I had a good time...but it was coooooold!!!!! We took off from Syracuse in a heavy snowstorm with about 2 feet of snow on top of the Bus. We drove throgh the snow and into a bright clear, but cold afternoon through Western NY. Did I mention the horrific wind and snowdrifts across the Thruway? My plan was to be at the campground Friday afternoon after lunch in Niagara Falls. Between fighting the wind coming straight at us, blowing us into other lanes....and the ever popular Mapquest bone job...we arrived after dark. Sometimes mapquest takes you right where you need to go turn by turn and everything is fabulous. This was not one of those times. We got there too late to buy firewood. It was a cold night to say the least, but the space heater in the tent kept thing bearable for a while. We spent more on firewood than we did the camping. Saturday afternoon the Canadian folks arrived and built a hell of a fire. We deep fried two turkeys and had a delicious feast. Turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce...it was amazing. We stoked up the fire at out campsite and proceeded to get thoroughly drunk. I awoke this morning to a light snowfalling and still red hot coals in the fire pit. I stoked the fire up with our remaining wood and started defrosting the water for some hot chocolate. Everything, including the beer....froze. I spent two night sshovering in a tent in Canada in well below zero temps. I am glad I did it now that I'm in my warm livingroom. Not sure I would brave it again. A gorgeous campground that I would like to visit in the summertime. Glad to be home...it's still snowing and the Bus is covered in salt. Supposed to go into the 40's by the end of the week so she'll get a bath asap. Here's some pics from this weekend. 3 of us in my Bus...one got to sleep in the Bus and the other two of us tented it. Ugh....and yes...that is a pig in a jacket wearing a scarf and boots.....walking through the campground.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:37 pm

That looks like fun! Makes me want to drive up into the Sierras next weekend!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:03 am

Was that somebody's pet pig? He looks so cute all bundled up like that!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 am

zblair wrote:Was that somebody's pet pig? He looks so cute all bundled up like that!
Yeah....first I saw what looked like a donkey come around the corner through the campground. It turned out to be a great dane...followed by a little teeny little dog...then the owner....then the pig bringing up the rear. That pig was probably the warmest out of all of us.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:57 am

HA! Now that's funny! I have found pigs to be pretty intelligent actually. A friend used to have a pot-bellied pig that lived in her house. It would come prompted by a whistle, just like a dog, run to you, which always cracked me up. The sound of those little cloven feet running on her outside porch!

Those are some great photos too btw! Glad you had a great time, even if it was cold outside!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:08 pm

Now there are some folks who really have the need to camp! Looks like fun!
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Holy crap that's the most hardcore camping I've seen in some time. I tip my hat to all of you. :cheers:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat