Fuel

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Fuel

Post by IFBwax » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Not sure how scientific this post is but.. Charlie has been having some drop out performance issues at high rpms esp. under load. Looked at when I last filled up and it was four months ago. Could old/bad fuel be the culprit? I've ruled out most other things.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: Fuel

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:34 pm

I've never seen fuel go bad that quickly. What about your filter?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Well this is problem that has cropped up occasionally over the years. This is about my third fuel filter and it doesn't clear up the problem. The engine has been rebuilt, the AFM has been replaced (not over this problem) Temp Sensor II replaced, multiple tuneups.. etc. What's weird is, it will run bad one minute and perfect the next. Same route, same temp everything. The engine is clean, new ground strap etc. Ok.. thanks.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:15 pm

drive moar
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:50 am

it will run bad one minute and perfect the next.

this says intermittent electrical issue to me.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:34 pm

does it change back and forth at idle? check your grounds under the intake plenum and wiggle some connections. listen for changes in your idle.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:07 am

Could it be crud in the tank? Have you ever had the tank out, and did any refurbishing to it?
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Could be crud in the tank as in a big blocking sock or rubber piece or something. I've never had tank out but am considering going in through sender hole to look for anything in there that could be constricting flow. Hope I don't blow up. As for variance at idle, nope.. runs like a dream. The only time it bucks is going up hill at high revs. And it doesn't even do that every time. Sometimes can go weeks without, then usually it will do it pretty regularly for a week or two. Down hill or even flat ground will accelerate just fine.

Frank Bama

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 pm

check the plug color as maybe its set too lean...uphill under load at high rev's could be that. How about if you floor it, does it clear up? I'd also check the plug wires at the cap to see if they are corroded.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/