Weber sprung a leak on the right port

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk
IAC Addict!

Weber sprung a leak on the right port

Post by turk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Was shooting gas onto the crankcase housing from the hole which I plugged with a screw and piece of rubber to get to drive it 100 mile back home with no incident. Image Thankfully, Indiana has awesome peopl,e willing to help in a pinch. I didn't have the screw or the rubber r the idea for this. Just some dude in a gas station a mile or two away did. :-)

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Ordered the rebuild kit from webercarbsdirect. Understand a small soft lead ball and a flat punch with a small hammer can plug the one hole. Sure there's a vacuum leak from the flange at the manifold too. That gasket edge was hanging away in the gas-soaked scenario. Engine runs worse. Just glad everything worked and no conflagration from Kouts, Indiana home to northern suburbs , Illinois.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:40 pm

JB Weld would probably seal it as well.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Gas leaks are scary and I have had a couple. Glad there was no POOF!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Havn't begun the job yet. Researching on tech. I wanna take the carb bodies somewhere to have them blasted appropriately without damage. I guess I'm gonna take the plugs out (like where the one fell out). Now, I will have to re-plug them with brass or lead and/or Jb Weld or something. I should prolly look at some other improvements and pick up some spare parts in the process. Any other suggestions on Dual Weber 40 IDFs? I know the gaskets I got in the kit are not the same ones supposedly. Any tools to suggest? Thanks.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 am

After cleaning the carb bodies in carb cleaner you might want to try "soda blasting them" at home. I think I would clean them again in carb cleaner after blasting, just to make sure everything is clean in there.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/

I think I would do the manifolds also since you are in there anyway.

I think I bought my baking soda at a "warehouse store" and got like 8.5 pounds for $6 or something.
79 VW Bus

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks Randy. I'll look at that. That will save that step in the process. I was using the bus a lot as my daily driver, and I am against that, especially with winter ahead, but I need to.
A man said to the universe, "Sir I exist! "However," replied the universe, "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."

"Let me be perfectly clear" "[...] And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country." Barry Sotero

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:32 am

Neat website, never see it before.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:49 am

Image This little wheel nub thing is supposed to set, (rest), whatever, against the carb when the accelerator pump is not engaged. It's prety worn out. I still havn't found a place to buy a replacement for it. See one in better condition on the other carb: Image And the bad one: Image I don't wanna proceed with rebuild until I can replace this and also some gaskets the kits I bought online from Weber Carbs Direct didn't include in their rebuild kits. Customer service is not very helpful. For what it's worth. Anybody know a better supply house, especially for that obscure wheel thingy, and gaskets?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:59 am

I bet keifernet over on the samba could point you in the right direction. Might even want to see what he charges to do the rebuild for you.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:07 am

Okay, problem is I need to get it done, but wanna do it myself, and in this temp, it ain't happenin'. You know what I mean. Thanks.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:16 am

turk wrote:Okay, problem is I need to get it done, but wanna do it myself, and in this temp, it ain't happenin'. You know what I mean. Thanks.
Sure the troutmobile is laid out too, needs a new head.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 am

Bummer. I gotta job right near you too. Hopefully I get this done soon. The job looks cool as #$%@!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:53 am

Try CB Performance http://cbperformance.com

I get all my Weber stuff from them. You should probably just call them instead of trying to navigate their website or even .pdf catalog. Good resources if you have the time to pour over them, otherwise, Marieanne Martin is a very nice person to deal with.

It's possible (likely?) they won't have that accelerator-pump-cam-doo-dad. You may end up having to buy a junk carb to get that part. I had to do that to get a decent throttle shaft after mine suffered the left-carb linkage death.

Joe Chrico at www.chirco.com had the donor carb. It's possible he might have some miscellaneous parts laying around and just might have what you need. Again, a phone call will do wonders. I've spoken directly with him and he too seems like a good guy.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks. I think I might have found the part on the Samba Classifieds. I'm just learning this as I go. But thanks for the tips on the CB perf. and the other one. I actually talked to someone at CB and she knew exactly what I was talking about right away. That was funny. So it must be the same person. She gave me a number in Utah and that guy moved. That was funny too cause I was talking to some really young girl (it sounded like). The sooner I get this part and disassemble these and reassemble, I will be better off reassembling them to the linkage. I'll be posting some photos.