pilot cutoff solenoid, dual PDSIT Solex '74

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

pilot cutoff solenoid, dual PDSIT Solex '74

Post by Birdibus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:45 pm

I thought I had the info saved, but the personal message is gone (must learn to save important PMs), so I must ask my question again. I need to know a part number and possible sources to find a new solenoid for my left PDSIT Solex carb. It is the smaller solenoid, called in Ratwell's photo the Pilot Cutoff. Thanks!
71 bus, 74 westy

Jaffa
I'm New!

Post by Jaffa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:09 am

Most parts sites have them. #058-129-413. -E is G52.5 size and for the 1976>, and -D is G55 size for 1974-1975. I think this is correct but someone more knowledgeable can correct me.

Craig

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:54 am

Jaffa wrote:Most parts sites have them. #058-129-413. -E is G52.5 size and for the 1976>, and -D is G55 size for 1974-1975. I think this is correct but someone more knowledgeable can correct me.

Craig
Thanks for your reply, Jaffa. Birdibus, our '73-'74 buses use the 55.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks!
71 bus, 74 westy

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Colin, Bus Depot catalog says the G55 is for 68-71 bus. It does not mention it being the solenoid for a '74 bus. Are you sure this is the part I need to order?
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?par ... 058129413D

I thought I was needing something called the pilot cutoff, NOT the idle cutoff. I'm getting thoroughly confused.

Is it correct that I need #3 on THIS chart? You will notice it does not say D or E, but so far everything I've read indicates I need D.
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:49 am

Birdibus wrote:Colin, Bus Depot catalog says the G55 is for 68-71 bus. It does not mention it being the solenoid for a '74 bus. Are you sure this is the part I need to order?
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?par ... 058129413D

I thought I was needing something called the pilot cutoff, NOT the idle cutoff. I'm getting thoroughly confused.

Is it correct that I need #3 on THIS chart? You will notice it does not say D or E, but so far everything I've read indicates I need D.
The idle/pilot cut-offs are all the same as far as threads and dimensions. There is one difference in the size of the orifice 52.5 or 55. These cut-offs also serve as jets when the engine is running. They will work on the 68-70 carburetors or our '72-74 dual carbs. (these are the two small solenoids on each carburetor)

The big honking central idle cut-off solenoid is a totally different beast, and it looks it. It has that plunger sticking out with the big end that is designed to snuff the entire airflow of either our '72-74 dual carb central idle circuit or the idle air bypass circuit of the 1970-71 30/31 or 34 Pict3 carbs. (one big solenoid on the left carb)

Don't get nervous. Solex standardized parts where they could. Fuel cut-off solenoids have that number (55 or 52.5) to tell you that they serve as jets when the engine is running. The big air cut-offs don't.
Colin

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:44 am

So, considering my symptoms, are we fairly certain that it is the smaller solenoid on the left carb that needs replacement? On my bus it's the one missing it's tab, with the altered wire.

symptoms: most recently, a pop and engine died. runs extremely rough and won't idle. seems only one or two cylinders are firing. Earlier symptom: ran roughly for 5 minutes or more, but finally smoothing out when warmed.

Part of my confusion is the terminology. When you said I had a bad cutoff, I thought I knew what you meant, but now I'm uncertain. I'm planning to order 058129413D unless you say otherwise. Wondering why bus depot doesn't mention use of the part for 74 carbs. thanks!
71 bus, 74 westy

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Take a look here:

http://www.airheadparts.com/products.as ... rBodyType=

They provide a little more information on both the idle cut-off (the one with the plunger) and the pilot jet cut-off (the smaller solenoid G55 size).

If you order anything from these guys (airheadparts), be sure to also get the viton dipstick tube boot since the stock one is probably hard as a rock and the other aftermarket ones start to leak after a year or less. It's cheap preventive maintenence and will be the last dipstick tube boot you will ever have to buy.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:12 pm

satchmo wrote:Take a look here:

http://www.airheadparts.com/products.as ... rBodyType=

They provide a little more information on both the idle cut-off (the one with the plunger) and the pilot jet cut-off (the smaller solenoid G55 size).

If you order anything from these guys (airheadparts), be sure to also get the viton dipstick tube boot since the stock one is probably hard as a rock and the other aftermarket ones start to leak after a year or less. It's cheap preventive maintenence and will be the last dipstick tube boot you will ever have to buy.

Tim
Good prices. . . Looks like a good resource.
Birdibus, it is spelled out on Tim's link here. Just remember that the big one is an air cut-off (our central idling circuit) and the little ones are fuel cut-offs that also serve as jets.
Colin

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:24 am

um, thanks, I guess. Colin, you discovered it, so I thought you could remember exactly which solenoid it was that was bad. But I understand you are trying to teach me and not give me all the answers.

Tim, thanks for link. It was your nice, informative email that I was wishing I still had. oops!...unfortunately I don't see the article you mention. (Sorry, the product you were looking for has been moved to a different section of our shopping cart.). Hooray, they have a photo of the part! That's helpful.

I'm having a hard time not launching into a rant about the difficulty of searching online for parts. I have to try all possible variations of a part number. Some sites want the dashes, others want blank spaces, others no spaces at all. sheesh. how is anyone supposed to find anything?
71 bus, 74 westy

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Birdibus wrote:um, thanks, I guess. Colin, you discovered it, so I thought you could remember exactly which solenoid it was that was bad. But I understand you are trying to teach me and not give me all the answers.

Tim, thanks for link. It was your nice, informative email that I was wishing I still had. oops!...unfortunately I don't see the article you mention. (Sorry, the product you were looking for has been moved to a different section of our shopping cart.). Hooray, they have a photo of the part! That's helpful.

I'm having a hard time not launching into a rant about the difficulty of searching online for parts. I have to try all possible variations of a part number. Some sites want the dashes, others want blank spaces, others no spaces at all. sheesh. how is anyone supposed to find anything?
I corrected the link in my post above.

I rarely search by part numbers. The vendors usually have items listed by function and you have to work your way through nesting menus to find what you need. In this instance, go to airheadparts, then go to air/fuel system, then to carbureted fuel system, then look down the page to see what they have. At this point, it looks like they are out of stock on the big idle air cut-off solenoid.

If you need the idle air cut-off, go to this vendor:

http://www2.cip1.com/

Go to carburetors and parts, then to stock carburetors and parts, then stock carburetor parts and voila, you will find:

VWC-056-129-412 - IDLE AIR BYPASS CUT OFF VALVE FOR 34 PICT-3 CARB 12V

which is just what you want, because these are interchangable between the Solex 34 PICT-3 and the Solex 32-34 PDSIT-2. And for only $16.77.

Get one of each before they are gone.

Tim

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:21 am

I finally found Colin's receipt (!). I don't understand all of this, but I'll write it here for reference.
REBUILD BOTH CARBURETORS
-Replacing choke shaft R/S central emulsion
upper choke L/S
-new cut-off solenoid
-jets 137.5 > 130 mains
140 > 175 air-correction
idle (pilot) 55 > 50 pilot cut-offs
Thanks again, Tim. Does the above info make sense to you? Is Colin saying he used a 50 instead of a 55 pilot cutoff, and does it matter? (I used this symbol > instead of an arrow). I'm unclear which carb it went to.

I was also wondering if you would advise me to buy some tubing, and which sort is good?
71 bus, 74 westy

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 pm

satchmo wrote:
Birdibus wrote:um, thanks, I guess. Colin, you discovered it, so I thought you could remember exactly which solenoid it was that was bad. But I understand you are trying to teach me and not give me all the answers.

I corrected the link in my post above.

I rarely search by part numbers. The vendors usually have items listed by function and you have to work your way through nesting menus to find what you need. In this instance, go to airheadparts, then go to air/fuel system, then to carbureted fuel system, then look down the page to see what they have. At this point, it looks like they are out of stock on the big idle air cut-off solenoid.

If you need the idle air cut-off, go to this vendor:

http://www2.cip1.com/

Go to carburetors and parts, then to stock carburetors and parts, then stock carburetor parts and voila, you will find:

VWC-056-129-412 - IDLE AIR BYPASS CUT OFF VALVE FOR 34 PICT-3 CARB 12V

which is just what you want, because these are interchangable between the Solex 34 PICT-3 and the Solex 32-34 PDSIT-2. And for only $16.77.

Get one of each before they are gone.

Tim
who knew I was going to learn something today?

<---not this guy!
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Birdibus wrote:I finally found Colin's receipt (!). I don't understand all of this, but I'll write it here for reference.
REBUILD BOTH CARBURETORS
-Replacing choke shaft R/S central emulsion
upper choke L/S
-new cut-off solenoid
-jets 137.5 > 130 mains
140 > 175 air-correction
idle (pilot) 55 > 50 pilot cut-offs
Thanks again, Tim. Does the above info make sense to you? Is Colin saying he used a 50 instead of a 55 pilot cutoff, and does it matter? (I used this symbol > instead of an arrow). I'm unclear which carb it went to.

I was also wondering if you would advise me to buy some tubing, and which sort is good?
I think you want both pilot cut-offs to be the same. Maybe he put in a 50 in place of a non-functioning 55. In that case you want a new 55 pilot cut-off. I think mine are both 52.5, but I doubt that it matters much since you can only get size 55 anyway.

You can check the funtion of all the solenoid/cut-offs with the ignition key on and the engine not running while connecting and disconnecting the wire to each solenoid. This should result in a good click each time you connect/disconnect the wire.

What tubing are you talking about?

Tim

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:33 pm

I am not holding back as a teacher. I am holding back because I could not remember such a thing in the midst of the hundreds of mechanical operations I was involved in last year.

Did we "fix" a solenoid's spade that had been broken off? Soldering iron and all? If so, I would have said, "replace this solenoid!" Is the spade broken off one of those solenoids so the wire can't energize it? If so, you know the problem and you know which one!
Colin