Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

1974 Super Beetle - Idle & Fuel Mixture Problems

Post by Sluggo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:59 pm

1600 DP, 34PICT/3, DVDA, Pertronix

As stated in my previous thread, I can't get my idle below 1000. That's with the idle/air screw all the way in. I know Colin said idling around 1000RPM is good but I'd like to have the option of a lower idle.

Also, my mixture screw needs to be a full 8 turns out in order to idle correctly. Everything I've red says around 2 1/2 turns. If I bring it in even a little from 8 turns I sputter on acceleration and the idle fluctuates way down to almost stalling then back up.

Vacuum Leak?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:01 am

That'd be my guess. The rubber boots that connect the three pieces of the intake can have dry rot cracks where you can't see them.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:14 am

throttle shaft ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:12 am

dingo wrote:throttle shaft ?
I believe so. I heard some hissing. Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and got no raise in idle. The I noticed I can wiggle the throttle shaft in & out of it's bore about 1/8" And there is a little fuel leak there (just a few drops). Just PM'd kiefernet. Hopefully he can help.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 pm

I have responded to your PM Randy and can get you a carb out to keep you going you can send me the core back later....

To all of you who have sent me your carbs and or let me help you I thank you...

Anyone who needs small parts or help or wants me to do the full service on their carb(s) just send me a PM on here if you like.

I am also looking for core carbs so if you have some lurking in the storage/garage etc dig them out I give discounts on the work if multiple carbs ( models that I need) are traded in. AND I stand behind my work... if you have problems.... I help determine is if it the carb(s) and if so I take care of it. Not many vendors selling "new" carbs even warranty them.

Apologies if this sounds like blatent advertisement... I guess it is... :drunken: :geek:

No need for me to post much on this site... you people all help each other out just fine :cheers:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:32 pm

keifernet wrote:Apologies if this sounds like blatent advertisement... I guess it is... :drunken: :geek:
No apology necessary. I've heard nothing but excellent comments about your work. That's why I PM'd you. We need to let everyone know that there are still people who do real quality work out there.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:25 pm

keifernet wrote:Apologies if this sounds like blatant advertisement... I guess it is... :drunken: :geek:
Feel free to offer your services here wherever it seems appropriate. We support quality.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:43 am

Keith is hooking me up. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm getting giddy with the anticipation of a beautiful new carb!

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 am

Took me a while to write this. Sorry.

After a few initial problems (which I attribute to my lifelong string of bad luck) I ended up with a beautiful carb. It looks almost new, clean as hell, nice tight bushings, great start up and acceleration. I love this carb!!! My Beetle has never performed so well. I'll post some pics later.

Now I just gotta figure out why I lose power when going uphill in 3rd & 4th.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Mon May 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Sluggo wrote:Took me a while to write this. Sorry.

After a few initial problems (which I attribute to my lifelong string of bad luck) I ended up with a beautiful carb. It looks almost new, clean as hell, nice tight bushings, great start up and acceleration. I love this carb!!! My Beetle has never performed so well. I'll post some pics later.

Now I just gotta figure out why I lose power when going uphill in 3rd & 4th.
Randy is being very "gentlemanly" with me on this... fact is I sent him one carb and it ran well but had some funky stuff with a stripped choke hold down screw and leaked a bit of fuel from a plug and the end of the accel linkage ( * at this writing I have not gotten it back yet to see just WTF is all wrong with it) Obviously a ten minute run on the test engine is not always going to yield real world results...

AND I sent a second carb that also had an issue ( well I am human and a big boy ... did I say I like my humble pie WARM not HOT... and a scoop of vanilla! :king: ) so the THIRD TIME WAS THE CHARM... thank goodness... I was about to give it up and go apply at the 99 cent store.

"that will be 99 cents ma'm" just sounds better to me that "would you like to super size that?" :drunken:

Being that I try real hard to please every customer and have a good track record
( see samba feedback if so inclined)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71746

it was really a blow not to have given Randy a sweet carb right off the bat.

BUT I stand behind my work and I feel I have taken care of him ( would not matter how many 35 + year old carb I would have to send to him)

I feel the deal we are making on trade is a good one and I hope he/we will have better results with the pair of bus carbs I have to do to finish the deal.

I hope that by being up front in all this and accepting RESPONSIBILITY ( to bad the politicians don't read boards like this eh? :bom: :geek: ) it shows that if you do biz with me I won't leave you hanging.

Thanks for all who have hung in there with me thus far.

Keith

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue May 20, 2008 5:39 pm

Just did my mileage on the new carb. It went from 16.4 MPG to 24.6 MPG. And that's in crappy L.A. traffic where I spend as much time sitting in a running car as I do actually driving.

I'll be sending a box(s) full of carbs out to you at the end of the week, Keith.

The first carb had a sticky throttle and that leak but performed great. I have no idea what was up with the second carb. It was a little sticky and just idled real funky.

As I said, the carb I've got now is a work of art. It doesn't matter to me that it took three carbs to get a good one. Like Keith said, these are 35 year old parts. What matters is that when they had problems he was there and on the ball. No hassles or arguments. Just good customer service. Which I feel is more important. Anybody can send out a bad part. It's how the seller handles it that makes a difference.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue May 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Sluggo wrote:Just did my mileage on the new carb. It went from 16.4 MPG to 24.6 MPG. And that's in crappy L.A. traffic where I spend as much time sitting in a running car as I do actually driving.
Wow, that's a really dramatic improvement! Kudos to Keifernet for the great customer service.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 am

I noticed a similar jump in mileage with my keifernet special carb. The part may be old but it is good German quality. Speaking of customer service...CIP1 is on my don't buy from list now....they have really gone down hill the last year or so.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 am

CIP1 EVENTUALLY returned my money but I really had to stay on them. (that wiper assembly fiasco) The guy was really nice about it, but it took about a month to get it resolved.
They also told me the part would be shipped in a couple days and it took almost 2 weeks...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat