Back on the road for Sam

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Back on the road for Sam

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Hello everyone I am working to get the 71 Westy back on the road. Sam has been in the garage for six years with various repairs in place such as front brakes, windshield and body work. I rebuilt the carburetor back in 2015, put it in the Bus but did not make it far in the adjusting phase. 34 Pict 3 carb I rebuilt as the old carb had been damaged and could not idle to save it's life. So, I had fuel stabilizer put in the tanks way back. I plan on draining the tanks and replacing the fuel lines. Questions are what is good replacement fuel lines to purchase? Also, recommendations for what to do before trying to turn over the engine, such as replace carb gaskets, plugs and distributer points, etc?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Back on the road for Sam

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:55 am

Sylvester wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 pm
Hello everyone I am working to get the 71 Westy back on the road. Sam has been in the garage for six years with various repairs in place such as front brakes, windshield and body work. I rebuilt the carburetor back in 2015, put it in the Bus but did not make it far in the adjusting phase. 34 Pict 3 carb I rebuilt as the old carb had been damaged and could not idle to save it's life. So, I had fuel stabilizer put in the tanks way back. I plan on draining the tanks and replacing the fuel lines. Questions are what is good replacement fuel lines to purchase? Also, recommendations for what to do before trying to turn over the engine, such as replace carb gaskets, plugs and distributer points, etc?
Fuel stabilizer can be a real bear to clean out. It turns yellowy sticky.
Use the German 5mm Choline hose available from Bus Depot.
Clean/gap points and plugs, and you should be good to go with a fresh battery and fresh gas.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Back on the road for Sam

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:29 am

Roger that will order the line. Will drain the tank and see what it looks like. Thanks Colin.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.