Fuel hose advancements?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Fuel hose advancements?

Post by Jivermo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:46 am

I noticed in a post this week mention of "11.5 mm I.D. Cohline 2240 low-permeation hose". SlowLane had offered some to Colin, for use on Naranja, I'm guessing. I replaced all of my fuel lines in mid-2013, with the fuel injection rated hose, 7mm, from Bus Depot. It looks to be in good condition, but I'm concerned with the effects of ethanol formulas on its stability. Is the Cohline product an improved solution, for use with our fuel injection systems? What's a good source, Pelican?

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Fuel hose advancements?

Post by SlowLane » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:18 pm

The Cohline 2240-series hose is a low-permeation high-pressure FI hose that comes in all of the perfect metric sizes for our vehicles. It is intended for use with bio-diesel fuels and is compatible with ethanol up to the E15 level (as near as I can tell from the Germanic English spec sheet.) Here is a link to the Cohline hose catalog: http://www.cohline-uk.net/AFHC_2013_Teil_2.pdf for your own edification.

The 11.5 mm I.D. hose is Cohline number 2240.1019. They also have a 7.3 mm I.D hose model 2240.0600. Both are available from Pelican, but they charge nearly $40/meter for the larger hose, and they won't sell you less than a meter (they also cut the ends of the meter they sold to me so poorly that a good 1/2" was useless on each end). GoWesty sells the 7.3 mm hose as their "premium" hose, but they don't identify it as Cohline 2240. I bought hose from both vendors. I've also bought hose from a Finnish company Finjector, who charge half the price for the hose, but shipping is a killer unless you're buying other stuff from them.

I can send you a length of the 11.5 mm hose to save you the bother of getting raped by Pelican, or you can call dibs on a chunk of the hose I gave to Colin. There ought to be enough there for two busses, I should think,

I have tried several times to bring people's attention to this hose over on TheSamba whenever discussion of the miraculous "Gates Barricade" hose (only available in the standard inch sizes) comes up, but nobody there seems to want to know about a metric alternative, so I gave up.

Since you've replaced your 7mm hoses so recently, I wouldn't worry too much about replacing them preemptively. However, if you weren't able to find a suitable hose for your 12mm filter-to-pump section, consider the Cohline. It's a lovely fit. Pester Colin for it if he hasn't used it up by the time you see him, or send me a PM if you can't wait for him.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks. I ordered some from Pelican. Finite tour was cheaper, but the shipping was 40.00, so I went with Pelican. I'll see f Colin has the larger diameter stuff.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 am

Jivermo wrote:Thanks. I ordered some from Pelican. Finite tour was cheaper, but the shipping was 40.00, so I went with Pelican. I'll see f Colin has the larger diameter stuff.
Now that I am not mis-attributing petrification to the new hoses I installed in NaranjaWesty, I can say that the Bus Depot-supplied 7.3 FI hose has been fine for 23,000 miles of hot driving.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 am

Any update on improved metric hoses out there? Bus Depot’s offering at 10.95 per meter, plus shipping, seems to be the standard, but I’m curious whether there is anything better/easily available new product for our purposes.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 am

Jivermo wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 am
Any update on improved metric hoses out there? Bus Depot’s offering at 10.95 per meter, plus shipping, seems to be the standard, but I’m curious whether there is anything better/easily available new product for our purposes.
Can't help you there, ian. Since I've settled on using the Cohline 2240, I haven't bothered keeping track of the fuel hose landscape. I have enough hose to last the remaining lifetime of my van.

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. The recent spate of bus fires got me thinking on this problem again.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 pm

I just replaced the lines from under the tank up to the fuel injection rail this past weekend. They all looked great, but I was under there doing the filter anyway so I went ahead and swapped them. I still can't wrap my head around how many bus fires there are these days.
1979 California Transporter

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Can't speak to the number of bus fires. Could be related to a new crop of uninitiated bus owners.
I can say that I replaced the small hoses in my van's evap control system last month when I dropped the tank to replace the level sender. The old hoses were only a couple of years old, but were already getting hard and not sealing very well. I replaced them with Cohline 2240.0400 hose, which is the smaller diameter 5 mm hose size in the 2240 line.

- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 pm

There's no way I'd run a fuel injected bus w/out that new fangled Blaze cut installed in the engine compartment. 28PSI is scary vs. the 3psi on mechanical fuel pumps on type 1's.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 pm
There's no way I'd run a fuel injected bus w/out that new fangled Blaze cut installed in the engine compartment. 28PSI is scary vs. the 3psi on mechanical fuel pumps on type 1's.
Oh, it's 36 psi when the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator burns through.

Ain't no way that I am clogging up my engine compartment with that thing. I prefer anxiety to keep me up on my maintenance and careful inspections for any abrasion damage.
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 pm

extinguisher wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 pm
wcfvw69 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 pm
Oh, it's 36 psi when the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator burns through.

Ain't no way that I am clogging up my engine compartment with that thing. I prefer anxiety to keep me up on my maintenance and careful inspections for any abrasion damage.
Colin
And, and... a big ass fire extinguisher in the cab? Yes/no? :tongue:
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:14 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 pm
And, and... a big ass fire extinguisher in the cab? Yes/no? :tongue:
A modest fire extinguisher in case I have to help a fellow motorist in distress . . . :flower: