Replacing doors

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Replacing doors

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:11 pm

My engine has been torn down and I'm waiting on parts. Now my attention is focused elsewhere; namely, replacing my drivers/passenger doors. I already have replacements and I'm wondering how long it should take to swap them out. It's a 1973 Westy. In a perfect world, would one day be enough to do both doors? I need to plan ahead as Bliss is parked at a friends place about an hour away. Any tips would be much appreciated. I would like to do this Sunday.. And just to clarify, I'm only concerned with the front doors, not the slider.
Thanks folks!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Replacing doors

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:12 pm

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:My engine has been torn down and I'm waiting on parts. Now my attention is focused elsewhere; namely, replacing my drivers/passenger doors. I already have replacements and I'm wondering how long it should take to swap them out. It's a 1973 Westy. In a perfect world, would one day be enough to do both doors? I need to plan ahead as Bliss is parked at a friends place about an hour away. Any tips would be much appreciated. I would like to do this Sunday.. And just to clarify, I'm only concerned with the front doors, not the slider.
Thanks folks!
Why are you replacing both doors?
You are looking at an hour for both doors. There are a total of what? eight screws? that hold the doors to the body and two door check pins. Crack each screw loose in turn, find a friend to support the door and remove the screws. Alignment might take a little longer :king:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:52 pm

Both doors have body damage. The driver's door actually doesn't open completely due to the PO somehow managing to put a major crease in it. The passenger door is also badly dented in several places. I got replacement doors with the bus when I purchased it.

I'll take pictures of the old doors once they're out and if anyone wants them, I'll gladly pass them on. I really doubt the driver's door is salvageable, but my body repair skills are weak.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:18 pm

BlissfullyCrusin wrote: my body repair skills are weak.
The most critical aspect to the replacement is going to be keeping the allen sockets happy as you break loose the screws. Make sure you have a good 3/8 drive 6mm allen wrench bit. If yours has any rounding of the edges at the tip, grind it down on a bench grinder so it is optimal. STOP if you feel the allen bit try to walk out of the screw socket or begin to strip.
Hammer straight in on the screws to help break them loose if any are stuck.
Colin

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:00 am

Aha.
Thanks for the heads up. I do have a set of allen sockets, as well as a set of allen impact bits. Would you suggest staying away from the impact bits? I have a handheld impact driver as well as an electric impact wrench.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:03 pm

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:Aha.
Thanks for the heads up. I do have a set of allen sockets, as well as a set of allen impact bits. Would you suggest staying away from the impact bits? I have a handheld impact driver as well as an electric impact wrench.
You fancy people with all your fancy stuff please use it :flower:
Colin

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:40 am

Haha..I didn't get a chance to head up there this past weekend due to other pressing issues..damn upcoming holidays.

I'll be sure to use my "fancy" stuff when I do head up there, but don't worry..I'll probably go "old school" and use a tree stump to support the doors (as well as an extra set of hands)

Thanks again! :cheers:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:01 am

I'd just have a friend hold the outside of the door so you can start the allen screws. Try marking around the old hinges before you take the doors off and try to put the new ones as close as you can to those marks. That will give you a good starting point to getting the door lined up. It takes a little work but it isn't that hard. Also once you got the door set don't crank the down tight tight. Just snug them down and if you need to move the door back the bolts off just enough to move the door not real loose.Just some friendly advice. :thumbright: Believe me it makes door changing alot less of a headache.

Good luck,
Geno :cheers:
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.