72 Bus Left Heater Cable Stuck

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: 72 Bus Left Heater Cable Stuck

Post by whc03grady » Fri May 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Amskeptic wrote:You do not want the cable and the sheath to snap with remnants still inside the tube, so take it easy with twisting and stick to a more straight pulling.
As I pulled out the millionth foot of untwisted cable, it snapped off barely forward of where it exits the tube. I have maybe 5mm of cable coming out; not nearly enough to grab ahold of let alone pull on.

Is cutting the tube itself an option? One could take out a section to get all the old cable and sheathing out, then use a chunk of rubber tubing to replace the cut-out section. Yes? No?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Just make sure to remove the nylon locking grommet type thing at the rear end of the under tube before pulling forward.
Steve
Doubble check about this.
Can't you grab what's left at the front with a vice grip ?

You've got a lot pulled out from the front, now can't you pull what's left from the rear ?
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri May 13, 2011 2:15 pm

twinfalls wrote:
Just make sure to remove the nylon locking grommet type thing at the rear end of the under tube before pulling forward.
Steve

You've got a lot pulled out from the front, now can't you pull what's left from the rear ?
I cut off all the stuff at the back end, so it was just a bare cable going through the tube (I kept those little white thingies and the accordions they live in, so don't worry).
The center part of the cable pulled right out (I think it might've been a mistake to allow that), so all I was pulling was the spiral wrapping, or whatever you want to call it. Once in a while a big chunk of plastic sheathing would come out. There's nothing left at the rear end to pull.
I think I can get a vice grip on it, but given how hard I was having to pull it before it broke, there's no way I can do that strong of pulling in that space.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

twinfalls
IAC Addict!

Post by twinfalls » Fri May 13, 2011 2:31 pm

I had a hard time to get it from the front. Close to break it.

I understand you have no good clearance to pull it, strong and straight.
May be a jack could help pulling the vice grip holding on the cable.
May be hammering on the vice grip to make sharp pulls. Sometimes I have luck hammering on stubborn frozen parts, sharp shocks break rust bounds I guess.
1974 stock US Westy 1800cc PDSIT 34 2-3.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 15, 2011 6:15 pm

whc03grady wrote:
twinfalls wrote:
Steve

I cut off all the stuff at the back end, so it was just a bare cable going through the tube (I kept those little white thingies and the accordions they live in, so don't worry).
The center part of the cable pulled right out (I think it might've been a mistake to allow that), so all I was pulling was the spiral wrapping, or whatever you want to call it. Once in a while a big chunk of plastic sheathing would come out. There's nothing left at the rear end to pull.
I think I can get a vice grip on it, but given how hard I was having to pull it before it broke, there's no way I can do that strong of pulling in that space.
You do not try a dead-pull straight out. You try an unravel type pull as you maintain a decent but not fatal pull. You will have to rotate the visegrips as you unravel. Can you shoot some PB Blaster in the tube?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles