Where did all the wiper inserts go?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Where did all the wiper inserts go?

Post by JLT » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Now that the rainy season is here in California, I went shopping for wiper inserts for my three cars. I went to Pep Boys, Kragen, and Auto Zone. Nobody sells wiper inserts anymore! I get reasons like "Well, we want you to know that the arms go bad after a while, and they need replacing, too" or (my favorite) "The arms aren't shiny any more and you want shiny arms, right?"

At first, I wanted to put this topic in Free Speech and rant about how the parts business is trying to rip us off again, but I'm beyond that now (I think). But the question remains: Is this an industry-wide thing, or is there any supplier who will sell you just the insert? One of the factors, of course, is that I highly doubt that the existing wiper arms and springs are stock, and hence it's a crapshoot to buy the inserts without seeing if they really fit the arm/spring assembly. So mail-order may not be an option.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:34 pm

If you mean just the rubber piece of the blade assembly, you're absolutely correct. I haven't seen them around (sold separately) for quite a while now. You are stuck buying an entire blade.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:43 pm

I've noticed that too. More profit.
Autozone said they keep them behind the counter...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Try Napa, it's the only place I've found them in recent years.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Costco used to sell packs of Trico blades plus inserts. I"ll have to check to see if they still do. They were a good deal.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:07 pm

autozone has refills for anco wipers, few bucks. bosch at my flaps.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:30 pm

skin daddio wrote:autozone has refills for anco wipers, few bucks. bosch at my flaps.
Autozone was of the places in Sacramento that I checked (two stores, in fact).

I ended up buying the complete Bosch wiper and spring assembly from Kombi Haus ... might as well keep my local Vee-Dub shop in business ... except for the Toyota Corolla wipers, which I had to get from Toyota because they had a weird method of attaching them to the arm.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:34 pm

I saw some at NAPA just the other day. I asked the guy behind the counter if they were being phased out and he said 'sorta'. He explained that a lot of manufacturers have individual wiper blade designs that don't lend themselves to replacing just the inserts. They'd have to have a diffferent insert for practically every new model on the market. He said to expect to see the selection of refills dwindle as time marches on. I'm glad all the car companies have jumped on the 'Green' bandwagon by offering Hybrid's that are priced 50% higher, yet get only marginally better mileage than the non-hybrid's they sold last year. In return they now design wiper blades that require replacement rather than allowing a simple refill of the part that actually wears. Yep, that's green, uh huh!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!