Convertible Rear Window Seal

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Convertible Rear Window Seal

Post by dtrumbo » Sat May 02, 2009 6:18 am

So my '79 bug lived a substantial portion of it's life in the sunny Southwest (Arizona, California). A side effect of this charmed life is the rear window seal is dried out to a brick-like texture. It was this way when I bought it and even the PO disclosed prior to the sale that the rear window seal needed to be replaced. Just after I bought the car, I bought a seal and promptly stored it in my parts bin. This job just looked like a PITA, so I do what everyone does and put it off.

Well now it's time. I used a razor to slice the hard, dead seal off and lifted the window out, boy, this is going GREAT! I cleaned up the window and the opening in the top and got the new seal out of the parts bin, ready to install. Ummm... which way does it go in? I can figure out which groove goes around the glass, and I know to put the seam at the top of the glass, but which way does it go in the car? There are two 'lips' on the seal, one larger than the other. At first, it seemed like the larger lip should go around the opening on the outside of the car, but looking at the remains of the old seal, it seems that might not be the case. I can't be sure the old seal was installed correctly so I'm not in love with using it as the 'reference standard'. It seems like it would be easier to install the window with the larger lip on the outside of the car, but I've also learned that the easy way isn't always the right way.

Does anyone know for sure which way it goes? Thanks!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Convertible Rear Window Seal

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 02, 2009 5:38 pm

dtrumbo wrote:So my '79 bug lived a substantial portion of it's life in the sunny Southwest (Arizona, California). A side effect of this charmed life is the rear window seal is dried out to a brick-like texture. It was this way when I bought it and even the PO disclosed prior to the sale that the rear window seal needed to be replaced. Just after I bought the car, I bought a seal and promptly stored it in my parts bin. This job just looked like a PITA, so I do what everyone does and put it off.

Well now it's time. I used a razor to slice the hard, dead seal off and lifted the window out, boy, this is going GREAT! I cleaned up the window and the opening in the top and got the new seal out of the parts bin, ready to install. Ummm... which way does it go in? I can figure out which groove goes around the glass, and I know to put the seam at the top of the glass, but which way does it go in the car? There are two 'lips' on the seal, one larger than the other. At first, it seemed like the larger lip should go around the opening on the outside of the car, but looking at the remains of the old seal, it seems that might not be the case. I can't be sure the old seal was installed correctly so I'm not in love with using it as the 'reference standard'. It seems like it would be easier to install the window with the larger lip on the outside of the car, but I've also learned that the easy way isn't always the right way.

Does anyone know for sure which way it goes? Thanks!
Larger lip outside IIRC. Smaller lip for that glorious headliner as not found in Rolls Royce Corniche convertible, even.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun May 03, 2009 5:22 am

Thank you sir. I did a first attempt at installing it yesterday afternoon and came to the conclusion that it will only fit one way (the way you describe). It's a bit of a beeyotch to get it in with the small lip inward so I can safely say it might approach impossible if attempted with the large lip inward.

My headliner is loose and flappy and was "freshened" with what appears to be white spray paint. :pale: That's o.k. I have fifteen years and three months to get the top replaced before Annie gets it.
- Dick

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 03, 2009 8:26 pm

dtrumbo wrote: That's o.k. I have fifteen years and three months to get the top replaced before Annie gets it.
Get on it, then. I just fixed the most annoying contracted rear door seal that gapped away from the edge of the door opening in the BMW after ten years, and I am selling it? Why did I wait so long that I never got to enjoy the tidy look?
Colin?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Just to conclude this thread. I bought a German-made seal from OEVeedub and it fit MUCH better... meaning it fit versus the one made by West Coast Metric that didn't.

It's good to have the window back in. :king:
- Dick

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:25 am

Yippeee......

Just in time for the rainy season.....

Can't wait to hear of you tooling around in it.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:56 am

Gypsie wrote:Just in time for the rainy season.....
Yep!
Gypsie wrote:Can't wait to hear of you tooling around in it.
Oh I've been tooling! This summer has been so nice the top has been down so it didn't matter there was no window in it.

I usually ride Metro transit to work, but on the days I have to drive, even in winter, I drive the bug as it gets the best fuel mileage of the four vehicles I own.
- Dick