Single Bolt Exhaust Clamps............Anyone?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Bookwus wrote:Some searching around has led me to believe that VW actually used the one-bolt clamps on the production line.
Nope. Not our German-built buses before 1971.
Colin
the VW manuals that i have show the single screw clamps between the heat exchanger and the muffler. this is in the blue 68-70 VW service manual and in the blue dealer binders.

one thing i have noted is that the new one-piece clamps are (surprised? no...) not made as well as the originals. the OG ones are made from several pieces spot-welded together and the new ones have fewer pieces. something about the way these new ones are made makes them unable to overlap/pinch together as well as the original design. on a cursory look the new ones are the same as the old, but if you look really closely you can see the differences and when installing them you can notice that the old ones are easier to tighten.

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm

germansupplyscott wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Bookwus wrote:Some searching around has led me to believe that VW actually used the one-bolt clamps on the production line.
Nope. Not our German-built buses before 1971.
Colin
the VW manuals that i have show the single screw clamps between the heat exchanger and the muffler. this is in the blue 68-70 VW service manual and in the blue dealer binders.
Nope. No. No. no no no no NO NO NO NO.
Well, OK. If my President can make a mistake I guess I can too.
Colin :colors:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles