Rust Dilemma

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Rust Dilemma

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:25 pm

My Bus was repainted by Maaco in September, 2003, a year and half before I bought it. As the years have gone by, "pimples and rash" have appeared in numerous locations on the lower half of the sliding door and passenger side rear panel. (See photos below.) The driver's side has been mostly spared. Based on a photo the previous owner sent me of the Bus before the repaint was done, I'm sure these areas are surface rust spots that were not fully eradicated prior to the repaint, and now the rust is returning. But the paint is still quite hard - the "open sore" in the photo below required a heavy poke with a sharp metal point to break open.

I know the right thing to do is to remove the paint and repair the rust, but I don't see how it could ever look as good as it does now without a repaint of least the entire right side of the Bus from the windows down. And even at that, I'm concerned that the color and texture match to 16-year-old Maaco paint are going to be problematic - never mind the expense.

At this point, I'm inclined to just leave things as-is and "let it develop", but what are the long-term implications of doing that?

Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Rust Dilemma

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:25 pm
At this point, I'm inclined to just leave things as-is and "let it develop", but what are the long-term implications of doing that?

Don? We are MEN here. Or WOMEN. We do what is best for our automobiles. We do not shirk from our obligation to protect the metal from PERFORATION because we like the way the paint looks. Why, even the BobD had panel rust blisters on the left side and I attacked not Maaco paint, but factory original enamel. I endeavored to make a paint match and it is "acceptable".

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9101#p163803
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:36 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm
We do not shirk from our obligation to protect the metal from PERFORATION because we like the way the paint looks.
I knew that was going to be the response, but I needed to receive it anyway. :salute:

The question now is whether to take these on as individual spots, or to just strip the entire lower half from the front of the sliding door to the vertical body seam behind the rear wheelwell. I suppose there's no harm in trying the spot approach first. If it doesn't work out, I can always take the next step and strip it all.
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 01, 2019 7:46 am

vwlover77 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:36 am
Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm
We do not shirk from our obligation to protect the metal from PERFORATION because we like the way the paint looks.
I knew that was going to be the response, but I needed to receive it anyway. :salute:

The question now is whether to take these on as individual spots, or to just strip the entire lower half from the front of the sliding door to the vertical body seam behind the rear wheelwell. I suppose there's no harm in trying the spot approach first. If it doesn't work out, I can always take the next step and strip it all.
If you have glossy paint to begin with, and get a good match, it will not be too bad. Here is the BobD left rear quarter panel with several gruesome quarter-sized and larger grind downs, rust treatment, primer, brushed on topcoat and color sanded down, polished and waxed. Look close, they will become apparent:

... but seriously, who cares?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:46 am
Look close, they will become apparent:
I dunno...... Pretty hard to find!!! Just forward of the wheelwell??

One worry I have with spot repairs is the Maaco paint. It does not seem to take kindly to color sanding and polishing. It just seems to go dull / flat and not recover. Maybe it's my technique???
Don

78 Westy

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Don - I hate to say it, but she is a total goner with all that rot. Please give it to me and get yourself a real Westy!

Thank you :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm
Don - I hate to say it, but she is a total goner with all that rot. Please give it to me and get yourself a real Westy!
Oh, I couldn't in good conscience even give away such a festering pile of problems. I couldn't put you through all of that! :flower:

(It's time for you to buy another Bus!!!)
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 02, 2019 7:31 am

Mr Blotto wrote:

Mr. Blotto,
You haunt me each and every day, a bus pilot without a bus, frozen in a long-ago trauma, your longing whistling through the days like a cold wind. I am here to tell you that life is short. Go get thee a bus and quit with the qualifiers. Some really good examples crop up infrequently and you merely have to pounce. Yes they are more expensive now, but so what? You can't buy this sort of fun for less, and thank God they are appreciating. I see people blow $55,000.00 on a deluxe Sprinter and they are worth half after five years. Go forth! Join us! Get on it!
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Sat May 04, 2019 11:58 am

Yes. Tell us how much money you have to spend and we'll help you spend it!

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon May 06, 2019 10:29 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:31 am
Mr Blotto wrote:

Mr. Blotto,
You haunt me each and every day, a bus pilot without a bus, frozen in a long-ago trauma, your longing whistling through the days like a cold wind. I am here to tell you that life is short. Go get thee a bus and quit with the qualifiers. Some really good examples crop up infrequently and you merely have to pounce. Yes they are more expensive now, but so what? You can't buy this sort of fun for less, and thank God they are appreciating. I see people blow $55,000.00 on a deluxe Sprinter and they are worth half after five years. Go forth! Join us! Get on it!
Colin
Don - sorry for somehow hijacking your post! I wish you well in your rust eradication / touch up efforts.

Colin - I haunt myself too, and I hear you.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:50 am

Mr Blotto wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:29 am
Don - sorry for somehow hijacking your post! I wish you well in your rust eradication / touch up efforts.
No apology required. Looking forward to seeing a post about your new Bus soon! (DO it!)
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 06, 2019 8:48 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:50 am
Mr Blotto wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:29 am
No apology required. Looking forward to seeing a post about your new Bus soon! (DO it!)

:bounce: :compress: :wav: :occasion5: