Luggage Rack to Body Fit up...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drozdenko
I'm New!

Luggage Rack to Body Fit up...

Post by drozdenko » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 am

Hey..

I've been getting this whistling while driving now anything over 30-40, I started poking around looking at stuff and noticed that between the luggage rack seal and the top of the cab there's a gap of 1/2 - 3/4" across the front.

Is that normal and do you guys seals touch the cab? I'm thinking maybe that's a cause for the whistle. If it's too big, do you just tweak the little angle brackets underneath?

Thanks!

Lee
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Luggage Rack to Body Fit up...

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:35 pm

From the factory they only used a pinch welt trim around the luggage rack. No seal to help in draining that area to the gutters. When I replaced my pop top seals I went with the factory design but that caused an awful vibration of the rack against the body when the wind hit it just right. So I purchased a length of the trim with the sealing bulb and strategically cut out two inch gaps so the area under the rack would still drain. Solved the noise/vibration issues.

http://www.busdepot.com/LUGSEAL2
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

drozdenko
I'm New!

Re: Luggage Rack to Body Fit up...

Post by drozdenko » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Interesting, thanks. Mine is the standard seal I got from the bus depot kit. It's more of a hard edge rather than a bulb seal. I'll check that one out
'79 Westy 2.0L "Hiltrude"; with newly rebuilt engine (16k ago)..so nice to be reliable.
'00 Jetta TDI (new addition to the family)
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)