'73 Camper Bus Fuses

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

'73 Camper Bus Fuses

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:17 pm

I have a few days off work next week and I'd like to spend the time sorting out my birds nest of wiring, and figure out what works, what doesn't. The engine is pulled so I know I need to connect the wires that the starter uses. However, my biggest problem is that the PO pulled all the fuses from the fuse box. I assume to use as spares. Are the fuses readily available from a FLAPS? I'd rather not bypass the fuse box using sheets of aluminum or anything like that.

Suggestions welcome.

Oh, and if it matters this is a 1973 Camper.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:37 pm

You can get them at your flaps. 8 and 16 amps.

Courtesy of TS.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:59 pm

chitwnvw wrote: You can get them at your flaps. 8 and 16 amps.
Use a dab of De-Ox gel on each fuse end and you will improve reliability. Use it in each lamp socket and push-on spade terminal too.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:16 am

Just to confirm, these are not spade style fuses, correct?
The fuse box looks like it takes the cylinder style fuses. Hopefully the PO didn't rewire this for me.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:57 am

They take the plastic colored ones with the metal on the outside, they look like they do in the diagram above. (Those are spade style? Would make sense, learn something new all the time...)

Not the glass cylinder ones, with the wire inside.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:11 am

chitwnvw wrote:They take the plastic colored ones with the metal on the outside, they look like they do in the diagram above. (Those are spade style? Would make sense, learn something new all the time...)

Not the glass cylinder ones, with the wire inside.
Spade style are the wide flat ones with two spades coming out the bottom.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:48 pm

It will take the glass fuses also but you have to make sure you get the German style that have a tapered end and are shorter.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:08 pm

Sluggo wrote: Spade style are the wide flat ones with two spades coming out the bottom.
I don't understand your description. It's the plastic ones with the metal wrapping both ends and running between the ends on one side. Not the glass cylinders with the metal inside. The red ones are 16 amps. I'm a negative idiot savant on the proper names for things. Please forgive. I understand how things work, long before I understand what they are called.

I know the herb is supposed to be bad for your memory, but that Cap'n Chronic looks like somethin' I gonna have to get. Maybe it'll have the opposite affect on me. Like Adderal, for most of us it's speed, but if you have ADD it calms you down, maybe some of the Cap'n'll help with the retention. Do they have it at Albertson's?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:16 pm

Blade/spade fuse

ceramic fuse

glass fuse

German glass fuse

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:11 pm

Thanks, Westy. Maybe I don't need any of the Cap'n yet.:-(

My 73 has the ceramic fuses. (Although they aren't ceramic, they are plastic these days...)
Yikes, I should bring my card reader home from work. A picture really woulda been worth a hundred words at least...

As someone else has said, if you are getting a solid(lots of surface area) inline connection, it shouldn't matter so much on the style as the amperage.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:38 am

Hurrah for pictures! :cheers:

I kept poking around the online vendors sites to be sure I was going to get the right thing. Couldn't find a decent picture of what I needed, though I knew I needed the "ceramic" style fuse.

Headed to the FLAPS shortly, hopefully I can find what I need, but I have low expectations.

Thanks again for the help!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:25 pm

BlissfullyCrusin wrote:Hurrah for pictures! :cheers:

I kept poking around the online vendors sites to be sure I was going to get the right thing. Couldn't find a decent picture of what I needed, though I knew I needed the "ceramic" style fuse.

Headed to the FLAPS shortly, hopefully I can find what I need, but I have low expectations.

Thanks again for the help!
You don't have to use the ceramic fuses. The German glass fuse is the same thing. All FLAPS should carry them usually under the Buss brand name.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Yeh, I just got back. They appear to be plastic, not ceramic, like chit said..but should still work.
They had exactly what I needed. I got the last 10 of the 8amp, and 5 of the 16. Hopefully I wont blow any of the 8amps, but I suppose I can move them around for testing at least if they do blow.

Thanks again all.