'72 Bus No Dash Lights, Won't Start

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwdreamBayb
I'm New!

'72 Bus No Dash Lights, Won't Start

Post by vwdreamBayb » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:03 pm

Yesterday I had to get towed from the AAA parking lot (Ironic...) because as I was leaving the bus stopped running, a small amount of smoke came out from under the steering wheel, and then would not start.

None of the lights in the dash work, although the headlights and radio still work, and while it sounds like it might start, it never turns over.

Any advice or troubleshooting?

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:17 pm

I am not a mechanical person, I'm married to one. But that sounds like a toasted wire or fuse or both for the lights. I'd be very concerned about the smoke. Also was there a specific type of smell with that smoke to indicate what might have been burnt?

I know the guys here will help you out...good luck!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '72 Bus No Dash Lights, Won't Start

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:02 pm

vwdreamBayb wrote:None of the lights in the dash work, although the headlights and radio still work, and while it sounds like it might start, it never turns over.
I am going to assume that it does turn over (cranks, engine actually rotating) but does not fire or catch.

I am going to assume that you have no electricity going to the coil from the ignition switch due to a short somewhere. Carefully hotwire the coil to the battery lightly so you can yank the wire off, and try to start the car. If it does, you have not damaged the ignition system itself. That's good.
Start your investigations near the smoke source and work your way back towards the fuse box and work your way forward towards the ignition switch. There's a red #30 that leads to a #15 black that goes to the coil. Look for abrasions or cuts near clips and crap.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles