Blinker Flash Rate

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Blinker Flash Rate

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:00 pm

I think my blinkers, aka turn signal, are going at the right speed, but inside the cab the tock tocking is pretty fast. Is this normal. I think it was jblair who asked about this happening on his bus and that it might be a short somewhere, but I don't know if his were going fast in, out or both.

Just one of those nagging things...

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Re: Blinker Flash Rate

Post by Sluggo » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:10 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I think my blinkers, aka turn signal, are going at the right speed, but inside the cab the tock tocking is pretty fast. Is this normal. I think it was jblair who asked about this happening on his bus and that it might be a short somewhere, but I don't know if his were going fast in, out or both.

Just one of those nagging things...
If they are blinking fast, you have a short or burned bulb or something going on. I've never heard of just the inside or outside doing it on any car. On my Bus or any other car I've owned, if there is a short, it blinks faster on that side (left/right) in & out. Or both sides if it's a bigger problem. Or (like a lot of early U.S. cars) they just blink normal no matter what's wrong and you have no idea whats going on outside.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

jblair630
Getting Hooked!

Post by jblair630 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:37 am

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner to this but I haven't been able to check in to IAC for about a week.

The fast blinking that I had was a result of a ground to the front driver turn signal. Took awhile to track down but it was an easy fix. I have since found that if there is any electrical issue with the turn signal lights (front or back) then the "tock, tock" will be twice as fast. Whenever I hear it, I start checking all of the signals to see where the problem is. Another thing to remember is that if all your bulbs are good and all your wiring is good then check out the turn signal switch in the steering column. One time when I was tightening up the screws that hold the switch to the column, I took the thing apart to get an idea of what things looked like in there. Glad I did because one of the solder points had almost given up the ghost and the wire was just barely holding on. When I pulled the wire off and cleaned up the solder, I noticed that it would give me the same fast turn signal ticking as a short or blown bulb. I re-soldered the wire and all is cool.

Good luck
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Grateful Phred - 1971 Bus
Fweem - 1974 Super Beetle

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:42 pm

jblair630 wrote:Another thing to remember is that if all your bulbs are good and all your wiring is good then check out the turn signal switch in the steering column.

Good luck
Gonna check the turn signal switch. Right now mine spins on the steering column. I've gotten used to it, but it's not right! Plus like you said there may be things going wrong in there.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:39 pm

Used the hazards today, and they blink at half the rate of the turn signals. The hazards seem ( to me at least ) to be at a more normal rate, where the turn signal seems to be jittery fast. I think I'll follow jblairs advice on the turn signal switch in the steering column, it is free spinning, non canceling, and at any rate has other issues I can clear up even if this doesn't change the blinker rate.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:45 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Used the hazards today, and they blink at half the rate of the turn signals. The hazards seem ( to me at least ) to be at a more normal rate, where the turn signal seems to be jittery fast. I think I'll follow jblairs advice on the turn signal switch in the steering column, it is free spinning, non canceling, and at any rate has other issues I can clear up even if this doesn't change the blinker rate.
Check that all of your bulbs illuminate at the bright level. If not, bulbs can get accidentally installed backwards so that the turn indicators are only powering the 5W filaments, this will cause quick flashing. Emergency flasher rate is independent of the bulbs.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:32 am

Anybody do that blinker mod at the Samba. Making your side markers blink too. Pretty easy mod. Only took about 20 minutes.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:14 pm

Anybody do that blinker mod at the Samba. Making your side markers blink too. Pretty easy mod. Only took about 20 minutes.
Link? I don't generally read the Samba anymore. I had a few disappointing experiences over there...
1973 Camper - Bliss
Currently engine-less, awaiting a camper special.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:35 pm

71 bus, 74 westy