Loose Wire On The Generator & Starter Question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Loose Wire On The Generator & Starter Question

Post by Sylvester » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:27 pm

This question is in two parts so hang with me, I suffer from electric duh-o-sis.

1. I have a loose wire that comes from the bundle of the voltage regulator. It has an 'O' connector on the loose end, and it is dangling near the generator. Now everything works, my GEN light does not stay on after I start the bus. I was told by one individual that it was a ground wire that connects to a bolt on the top back of my generator. There is not a bolt there but is this possibly where it goes, and how do I check? Perhaps I need to track down where it comes from on the regulator?

2. I am getting power to my starter even when I have the key on accessories. More than once I have shut off the bus, turned on the key to ACC, then turned it off and felt the Bus jump. Not as bad as trying to start it in gear without the clutch in, but it does bump. I don't believe this is supposed to happen, but why is it?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:36 am

Ok, this should be pretty easy. If the wires are original we can track it by color. If they aren't then we'll have to just trace the wires back to the Voltage Regulator and see where they attach (D-, D+, DF).

Brown - Is the ground. It connects to the side of the VR (D-) and is held onto the body of the generator with a small screw.

Green - DF Terminal. It goes from the VR (bottom left tab) to the small DF post on the generator. It should be the smaller of the two wires connecting to the generator posts. Both the VR and generator should be labeled with DF.

Red - D+ Terminal. It goes from the VR (bottom right tab) to the D+ post on the generator. It will be the larger of the two wires.

The only tabs left on the VR are 61 (top right) which should have a blue wire attached and B+ (top left) which goes to the battery.

As for your second issue, I'd fix the first and make sure everything is hooked up right then see if you still have the second problem.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav: