'71 Bus Fuse Panel Follies

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

'71 Bus Fuse Panel Follies

Post by Sylvester » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:20 am

I started this topic on the Type 2 forum, but thought it really belongs here. The story is, I plugged my IPod power cord into the cigarette lighter and ZZZZAAAAAPPPP! Pop from fuse panel area. Radio gone, cigarette lighter gone, clock gone, rear interior lights gone. I checked the fuse block, fuse #7 is ok, but top connection for the fuse is welded to the block with plastic and metal. Only the top tab though, interesting. According to the wiring diagram for a 71 Bus, #7 is for the front fans. Since I don't have them, other things are hooked up to that fuse. I plan on pulling the block tonight and see what has happened. Stay tuned.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Crapola. That's no fun. I wonder if your cig. lighter socket grounded out when you plugged in.
Sounds like more than an overloaded circuit to blow a fuse that hard.

Rob

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:23 pm

My guess would be a short as well. That's an awful lot of damage for an overload. Could it be that you had an incorrect rated fuse in the panel?

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:56 am

LiveonJG wrote:My guess would be a short as well. That's an awful lot of damage for an overload. Could it be that you had an incorrect rated fuse in the panel?

-John
Nope, this event didn't even pop the fuse. It melted the plastic block above the top fuse tang. I think it was just loose, and with the fuse being loose, it made for a bad connection. I cleaned the melted plastic off last night and bent the tang down a bit, all works now except the radio. That will be figured out tonight.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Oh yeah. You said that the fuse didn't blow and I didn't catch it.

Rob

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:52 pm

I guess this was just a case of a loose fuse and then applying a load to it. I've never seen this before, the top tang "bent" upwards and fused with the block, creating a melted mess. I trimmed the plastic away, then bent the tang back down with needle nose pliers. The fuse goes in kind of cockeyed but stays. Clock works, radio works, back interior lights and cigarette lighter works now.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Electrical troubles can be wonderfully infuriating.

-John
Keep it acoustic.