Bosch Is Going To Crap...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Bosch Is Going To Crap...

Post by DurocShark » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:06 am

I'd been getting misfire over 3k rpm. It turned out it was my 6 month old Bosch points going jittery. I swapped in the old points I saved from when I got the bus and it's running great.

What the hell is happening to Bosch? Their wire sets and spark plugs have been getting bad, but there are other quality sources for those parts. The only other source for points has been like Beck Arnley or some generic crap.

Sigh.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bosch Is Going To Crap...

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:25 am

DurocShark wrote: What the hell is happening to Bosch?
Don, I swear I think it is open season on the consumer.
Greed truly knows no bounds. The self-justifying "rules of compensation" demand an increase in their share of the pie every damn year if not quarter, so they are raiding the structural supports of this economy right now.

I do not think there will be any effort expended in being more equitable, there is surely no motivation to do so. Methinks it will be a bumpy ride.
Colin

(p.s. you can cure point bounce by pinching the plastic terminal thingy out of the metal square thing and lifting the moveable point assy right off the pivot post. Stretch the black band spring leaf open more to make the points close harder. When you reassemble the moveable point, try not to bend the spring leaf too much as you reinsert the spring, plastic, wire terminal back in the square metal thing)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:35 am

I think it's less greed by the individual companies than a perceived need to Walmartify everything.

Walmart's strategy has always been, "Sell it to us at $X price. It's ok to drop quality if necessary." And so many companies did just that because they were afraid other companies would do so and take market share. That's why Bosch wire sets imported from Europe are of better quality than the Bosch ones for sale at Autozone. If Bosch doesn't meet a certain price point, Autozone won't carry their product.

There are many brand name products at Walmart that are no better than generics for just that reason. Zymol and Levi Strauss are two well publicized cases. Buy a pair of Levis at a department store and a pair at Walmart and compare them. The difference in quality is plain. (I own a pair of the Wallyworld ones... "Levi Strauss Signature" jeans.
:pukeleft: )

What kills me is the fact there isn't a quality option for some of this stuff. There's no department store that sells quality Bosch components.