VDO Tach, DD CHT Gauge & Radio Fuse Panel Wiring W/Pic

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rcnotes
I'm New!

VDO Tach, DD CHT Gauge & Radio Fuse Panel Wiring W/Pic

Post by rcnotes » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:50 pm

I upgraded the stock dash lights to the 2.3 volt "wheat" bulbs. What a difference! My old eyes can actually see them at night. Unfortunately the VDO gauge lighting appears dim to me.

Any help?

Anyway, here's my garage made fuse panel for 4 gauges and the radio.

The fuse panel and terminal strip are for four separate 12v circuits. The VDO tach, oil pressure, oil temperature, Dakota Digital CHT and ignition-key switched power to the radio.

I made the the bracket that holds the electrical parts from some scrap aluminum and fitted it under the dash on the air duct just left of the steering column. I used existing holes and screws for the air duct to mount the bracket. I drilled no new holes. The 4 fuse holder, terminal strip and the relay are from NAPA.

I re-purposed unswitched 12v from fuse #9 to the terminal strip at the top of the fuse panel in order to have unswitched 12v available at the fuse panel all the time.

Unswitched 12v from the terminal strip goes to the radio relay. When the key is in ignition the relay coil is energized and 12v goes to the radio. No need to turn the key.

I re-purposed switched 12v from the #10 fuse to the fuse block. It provides 12V fused separate circuits to each gauge.

The OT and OP circuits are on the 2 left fuses, the DD CHT and VDO tach are on the right.

Lighting for the OT and OP gauges comes from the light switch dimmer terminal. Lighting for the tach comes from the hazard switch. The DD CHT gets its lighting from its own 12v power.

My VDO gauge lighting looks dim to me. I need to check those lights with their own separate 12v circuit to make sure they're ok or not.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: VDO Tach, DD CHT Gauge & Radio Fuse Panel Wiring W/P

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:13 am

rcnotes wrote: Unfortunately the VDO gauge lighting appears dim to me.
Any help?
Check the light diffuser for a decent layer of white paint. You can see it when disassembled. I had to use a coffee cup lid to spread the light across the gauge face. Check also the depth of the lamp in the socket. I have seen instances where bulbs did not project out of the bulb socket well.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

rcnotes
I'm New!

Post by rcnotes » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:47 am

Thanks, Colin!

It was a bad ground.

Amskeptic