Turn signals - intermittent fast flash/non-cancel

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

a3inverter
I'm New!

Turn signals - intermittent fast flash/non-cancel

Post by a3inverter » Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 am

All,

Trying to resolve an issue with my '73 bus that has been around for years. I've got an intermittent issue where the turn signal is not cancelling after a turn and when I try to push up the "pod" that houses both the turn signal and the wiper stalk I tend to get an intermittent fast flashing (like the situation when one of your bulbs is out).

I'm going to take a closer look this evening and measure how far down from the steering wheel hub the pod is located (reading suggests 1/4" is the right distance) but wanted to check in with the group for any guidance.

Thanks,

Scott

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: Turn signals - intermittent fast flash/non-cancel

Post by kreemoweet » Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Any high-resistance connection in the circuit path will cause the fast flash. Sounds like it could be a very stretched-out and loose
female spade connection somewhere.

Bentley/VW asks for a 2 mm gap between t/s housing and steering wheel, a far cry from 1/4 in.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Turn signals - intermittent fast flash/non-cancel

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 am

kreemoweet wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm
Bentley/VW asks for a 2 mm gap between t/s housing and steering wheel, a far cry from 1/4 in.
Dang tootin'

Does moving the switch assembly affect this fast-flash symptom? If so, carefully (!) inspect wiring to switch terminals inside of the housings.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles