Rattling Generator

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Rattling Generator

Post by hambone » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Always Veedub, still there but getting surrounded by glassbox condos. He has been helpful with that rare part on a cold Christmas night.

Pulley, no you are getting senile, we broke it in 2 with a puller after using heat and swearing. The cad plated one was my backup that I graciously foisted upon your self about the same trip.
BTW the new commonly found Made in Germany type1 pulleys seem to be balanced well, though no arm form in their crude pressing. No vibration, considerable improvement. Painted flat black, you know the ones.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:15 am

hambone wrote:Always Veedub, still there but getting surrounded by glassbox condos. He has been helpful with that rare part on a cold Christmas night.

Pulley, no you are getting senile, we broke it in 2 with a puller after using heat and swearing. The cad plated one was my backup that I graciously foisted upon your self about the same trip.
BTW the new commonly found Made in Germany type1 pulleys seem to be balanced well, though no arm form in their crude pressing. No vibration, considerable improvement. Painted flat black, you know the ones.
Thank-you for graciously foisting the cad-plated pulley on my senile ass. It, it, it is all such a blur, I think I remember water dripping on my neck.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:29 am

This thread is once again useful, as I have to take apart my Bus generator to deal with a HOWWWWWWMMMMM vibration at acceleration. Too bad just had the engine out. It is either the fan or the generator bearings. Colin, it is the same generator you bought in Portland for the cow Bus. I remember you replaced the cheap Chinese bearings with decent ones, and mentioned something about a shim. Did you get it figured out, or did you have to scrap the generator? It puts out good volts with slow brush wear, so otherwise seems ok.
I have been living with it for years but it is getting worse.
German generator bearings? Couldn't find any, just FAG.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 pm

6203 is the bearing number I was trying to remember last night. 17x40x12mm (ID/OD/width), might also find it listed as 203FF

Go down to McGuire Bearing in the morning and pick up a pair. Just do it.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:03 am

hambone wrote:This thread is once again useful, as I have to take apart my Bus generator to deal with a HOWWWWWWMMMMM vibration at acceleration. Too bad just had the engine out. It is either the fan or the generator bearings. Colin, it is the same generator you bought in Portland for the cow Bus. I remember you replaced the cheap Chinese bearings with decent ones, and mentioned something about a shim. Did you get it figured out, or did you have to scrap the generator? It puts out good volts with slow brush wear, so otherwise seems ok.
I have been living with it for years but it is getting worse.
German generator bearings? Couldn't find any, just FAG.
Note that new bearings will not solve a vibration issue if they themselves are loose in the end plates.

Note too, that too many belt adjustment shims can cause a run-out type vibration as can dirt build up in the fan or rusty crud preventing the hub/fan/washers from running true.

Also, a belt that is wearing slowly can sometimes develop a bump at the joint.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles