Installing a VR in 74 bus - easy for a non-mechanic?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Installing a VR in 74 bus - easy for a non-mechanic?

Post by Emily's Owner » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am

I've ordered a voltage regulator from Ken up at the Bus Co. (I could only afford a used/tested one). How easy is it to install? My Bentley/Haynes/Idiots etc. are packed in a box, and it appears that I just unbolt and plug in the new one after brightening the contacts - is it that simple? I'm feeling overwhelmed with life and need a mental hand holding here.

Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Installing a VR in 74 bus - easy for a non-mechanic?

Post by satchmo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Yes, it is that simple.

Cheers, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:02 am

Oh good, I need something easy and "simple to correct" happen in my life - I need to drive my bus and get back to being happy. I've had a number of people knock on the door lately asking to buy her (I certainly could use the money), but she's therapy, so as of now, she stays in the family.
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:27 pm

Do not get discouraged. Do not sell your bus. Do keep it, for it can teach you much about patience, understanding, adversity and yes, love.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:40 pm

I've owned her since 1981 - I'm fairly invested all the way around. :thumbleft:
Margaret

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:26 am

Wow! I guess so. That's quite a lengthy relationship. Did you get it going, or still awaiting the part? Good luck, and let us know, please.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 am

The voltage regulator arrived yesterday (thanks to Ken at The Bus Co.) - will try to implant today and see what happens.
Margaret

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Installed voltage regulator, took her to Les Schwab to hook up to their little magic tester box to check and they said I need a new alternator... :-s

Our cousin who installed my Pertronix said it had tested fine a month ago - this is frustrating.
Margaret

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Start over at the beginning. What lead you to going out and buying a new VR?
1979 California Transporter

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:02 pm

The AAA battery guy who came out to check my stranded bus before they sent a wrecker to take her home. She'd been having charging issues for a long time but never really addressed - just beached in the garage until I could finally get her on the road again. I knew it needed a new distributor, so went with a Pertronix that was installed by my husband's cousin, an car guy who has restored some pretty gorgeous old cars and has had a Bug or two in the past. He had run diagnostics and said the alternator was fine but my battery was quite aged, so we put in a new one. Went running errands for a day and headed down to the (wrong one as it turned out) Lucky Lab to meet up with local IAC'ers. Went back to the bus and it wouldn't start, no click, no starter motor whirring, nothing. Called AAA and they sent a battery guy first. He ran a bunch of tests and said the VR was shot, and said that he'd be able to get me started but it would die on me in a few blocks and recommended a flat bed to take her home. Running on that information I bought a used VR and installed it today and went to Les Schwab as I don't have the little meter deals to check. The young man who did the tests said that it was the alternator - so I suppose it goes to Trafton's to get a remanned Bosch?

Despite having owned this car forever, I really don't know an engine or the electricals inside and out.
Margaret

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:23 am

So we've pinpointed the charging issues on Emily to a pinched wire at the back of the alternator, which, over time has done this:
to the wiring from the alternator to the starter and the voltage regulator - so many hours of fishing new wiring through tight spaces, a new alternator and VR, she is running smoothly (and doesn't have a burnt smell anymore, what a concept) and happily, can finally use headlights and maybe even the radio.

Next up CV joints/boots.
Margaret

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:26 am

Emily's Owner wrote:So we've pinpointed the charging issues on Emily to a pinched wire at the back of the alternator, which, over time has done this:
to the wiring from the alternator to the starter and the voltage regulator - so many hours of fishing new wiring through tight spaces, a new alternator and VR, she is running smoothly (and doesn't have a burnt smell anymore, what a concept) and happily, can finally use headlights and maybe even the radio.

Next up CV joints/boots.
Congrats! It feels SSOO good troubleshooting and then fixing the problem!
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.