Starter Solenoid Extra Terminal?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Starter Solenoid Extra Terminal?

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:03 pm

My solenoid has Terminal 30 (big post) and Terminal 50, but it also has another narrower plug terminal opposite 50.

Anybody know what this one is? A ground maybe?

Also my main terminal 30 is stripped going into the solenoid body. Should I just replace the solenoid or think about getting a whole new starter before I toss the engine/tranny back into the bus.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:00 pm

I have also been wondering what that one is as well, you never see any diagrams...you just see: "be sure to note the connections, and oh yeah, FI has two wires" and that's all ya get.

I found a Bosch re-manufactured starter (Autolite brand) at Schucks for about $65. Same part # as my old one and it came with a lifetime warranty. A few other places around the Sound wanted $120 for the same part.

So I'd say do it and get it over with while it is easier to do and save your old one for a spare.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:17 pm

Hmmm, $65 for a rebuilt Bosch? Sounds like I might just have to go for that. My buddy put on one of the high powered starters and I've thought about that but I don't have 200 bucks to toss on something I don't really need anyway.

I will have to call up Schucks and see if I can locate one of them for myself.

Did the new one you got have the same "second" tab on the solenoid? If it were a ground that would be a perfect place to ground my hot start relay which I just rebuilt.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:59 pm

Yep, it came looking just like its fore-fathers.

Tell them to look it up under 'Transporter' and not 'Campmobile' some parts weenies don't take the extra effort to look around a bit.

Oh yeah....$6 core charge....woopty friggin doo...I will keep my old starter, thanks.

I think the total was about $75 with tax/core.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:37 am

Very nice, thanks man.

We are gonna have to grab some beers sometime. When I get my bus running I'll get my other buddy and we'll tool on down in the direction of Tacoma for a beer and talk bus.
63 Gulf Blue Notch

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:54 am

Yee ha!
Sounds great!

=D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Re: Starter Solenoid Extra Terminal?

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:54 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:My solenoid has Terminal 30 (big post) and Terminal 50, but it also has another narrower plug terminal opposite 50.

Anybody know what this one is? A ground maybe?

Also my main terminal 30 is stripped going into the solenoid body. Should I just replace the solenoid or think about getting a whole new starter before I toss the engine/tranny back into the bus.
IIRC, that terminal runs to a post on the double relay (for us FI guys). My remanufactured starter has two such connections. Trial and error, heavy on the error, to find out which to use.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:47 am

Huh, FI terminal? That seems weird because I've got a 71 with upright engine. I guess the solenoid could be off of a later model one.

As for determining which terminal is which, #50 is labeled on the solenoid and 30 is obvious since its the big post. The other terminal is not labeled and is actually narrower than 50.

Is your second FI terminal narrower than 50?
63 Gulf Blue Notch

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:28 am

I don't think it is an FI terminal......

The upper terminal (50) has two prongs and the lower terminal is a single prong....to date I have never used the bottom terminal.

White/red wire and red/black wire hook up to terminal 50.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:51 pm

I'll try to remember to look next time I'm down there.
-John
Keep it acoustic.