help, leaking tranny???

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

natep73
I'm New!

help, leaking tranny???

Post by natep73 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:34 pm

the front of my tranny has a puddle under it, it looks like oil........ any suggestions, it seems to be shifting fine.......

[albumimg]2745[/albumimg]
73 Riviera

and used to have about 6 others :(

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:30 pm

:pale: Can't be good. Might wanna check the front nose cone, It may be cracked.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Have you done the bus boot skoot to go get your eyeballs on the problem area? If not, you now know your first course of action.

Take a swipe of the oil and stick it one of your nostrils....if it smells like total shit then that is gear oil. Any other smell and you might start wondering of earl contamination.

Is the shift boot in good condition? If not you might see a new part in your future....be careful who you get the rubber parts from...there is a lot of crap out there.

Have you recently added gear oil to the trans?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

natep73
I'm New!

more pics

Post by natep73 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:04 pm

ok, so I climbed a little further under, and still can't really tell where the stuff is coming from,

it might be gear oil, it doesn't really smell like motor oil, but it doesn't smell like shit ;)

I haven't added any gear oil, or done anything to the tranny, it has always had the wet gunk under there, but never this much of a leak.
[albumimg]2746[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2747[/albumimg]

where is the shift boot, I have never done any tranny stuff before ,yet :(
73 Riviera

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 pm

I would bet money it is leaking just above the front mount where the shaft goes into the nose cone. I have this very same leak to contend with in the very near future.
Old tranny (sorry, I feel dirty saying that even though I'm in North America) gearbox oil will smell like poo. If it's serviceable, it just has a heavy grease-like smell.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy
aka the "Hoover Bit" repro guy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:34 am

Mark wrote:I would bet money it is leaking just above the front mount where the shaft goes into the nose cone. I have this very same leak to contend with in the very near future.
Old tranny (sorry, I feel dirty saying that even though I'm in North America) gearbox oil will smell like poo. If it's serviceable, it just has a heavy grease-like smell.
It doesn't really smell like excrement. It smells a little like acrid dead fish lightly sauteed in engine oil with a sprig of toasted hydrocarbons.
Shift rod seal is a simple repair that necesitates removing large hunks of driveline. The shifter boot is just a dust guard. Check the reverse light switch too. It has two wires leading to it, and can leak between the plastic body and the metal shell.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

natep73
I'm New!

Post by natep73 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:35 pm

I didn't really think it would smell like shit ;), that is quite a description colin.

last night I thought it smelled like gear oil, but now it is more like normal oil, who knows.........

it is all so wet down there I need to clean it all off before I can tell where it is coming from for sure, and it is a pain to see anything up there, and I am not really sure what I am going to try to get the junk off with.

it looks pretty wet near the reverse light switch as well.
thanks for the advise, keep it coming.......
73 Riviera