Penzoil tranny fluid

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Penzoil tranny fluid

Post by upnorthman » Wed May 14, 2008 1:49 pm

I saw this today and thought of getting it because I am having a hard time finding GL-4. I thought I would post some info here, anyone using this?

Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid

Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid is a synchromesh transmission fluid designed for certain manual transaxles and manual transmissions used by General Motors or Chrysler. Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid is formulated with high-quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low-temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions. This product will satisfactorily lubricate General Motors or Chrysler manual transaxles and transmissions from -40°C to +150°C.

Benefits:

* Exhibits excellent low temperature performance.
* Meets GM Specification 9985648 and Chrysler Specification MS-9224.
* Suitable for use in GM manual transaxles and transmissions requiring GM Part No. 12345349 or 12345577.
* Suitable for use in Chrysler transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464.
* Excellent synchronizer performance.
* Excellent yellow metal compatibility.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Wed May 14, 2008 3:26 pm

This has been discussed to death as I am sure you are aware? Got a Napa Auto parts in the area? Get the real deal. My local Napa stocks it. They can bring it in in a day or two if they don't have it.
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/conte ... L24239&S=N
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed May 14, 2008 3:35 pm

tractoman wrote:This has been discussed to death...
Yup! I was the last guy to bug everyone with the question and I can attest, NAPA does have it or can get it in very short order. They also have the snazzy pump that goes with it too.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Wed May 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Sorry about that. I did not see the pennzoil one in any of the few discussions that I have read. It was more desperation than anything I saw that stuff today and thought hhhmmmm I should ask the forum before going any further. I will make a point to hit a NAPA soon. I hardly ever get in to town.
Thanks, I will steer clear.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed May 14, 2008 7:20 pm

I think it's a valid question. Is this Pennzoil appropriate for our trannys. It says pretty specifically for GM and Chrysler, though.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Thu May 15, 2008 8:00 am

I don't think Penzoil would be a problem, if you can find it in GL4. It must be GL4. That is the important part. Just ask Karl! :blackeye:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:36 am

That Pennzoil product does not carry a GL rating. That doesn't mean it does not meet the specs, but it has not been tested to those specs (why would they if they were trying to meet specific GM and Chrysler specs only?) It may be fine, but I wouldn't risk it.

If you want super synchro performance, I'd go with synthetic instead.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Most of the stuff that says "meets XX and XX requirements" ends up being GL5 but ya gotta read the bottle before it becomes apparent.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Thu May 15, 2008 1:52 pm

I found the GL-4 at NAPA today. I was lucky enough to be driving by one while working. I see others share the uncertainty with respect to the Pennzoil.
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

gears
I'm New!

Post by gears » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:26 am

If you are using a low grade oil like Penzoil, you would need to use their GL4, and suffer the possible consequences of a lower EP (extreme pressure) protection level. If you are using a high grade oil like Swepco, you can safely provide your transaxle with the high level EP protection of a GL5.

The GL4/GL5 debate should have died away MANY years ago, but remains because there are low grade gear oils (like Penzoil) still on the market. To explain this further I quote a smarter guy:

"Clarification on S-P additives and the GL4/GL5 quandry:

The Zinc-Sulfur-Phosphorus package in GL4 lubes is 1/2 to 2/3 the level of the GL5 lubes.

The difference in add levels is due to the fact that manual transmissions don't need as high a level of EP adds for the spur gearing, whereas hypoid differentials need extra EP because of their high loads and extensive shearing actions.

Most gear lubes today use the "non-reactive" sulfur-phosphate packages.

By "non-reactive," we mean that the sulfur is not just 'elemental' sulfur dissolved in oil, which would react with the metal to stain and corrode copper-containing metals such as brass and bronze.

Rather, the new S-P add packages are esterified (incorporated in fats) S-P's. These only react under pressure/heat of shearing and loads to form FeP and FeS EP surfaces films to prevent galling and wear. TBN boosters (TAN reducers), antioxidants, metal deactivators, and rust inhibitors are also incorporated to prevent acid buildup and to protect from rust."