Transmission swap

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

Transmission swap

Post by satchmo » Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 pm

I have a 73 bus with the 002 transmission (170K miles). I just built up my motor to a 2.0 liter and want to upgrade to the 091 transmission. I know about the larger flywheel, clutch and different starter that are needed. Can anyone who has done this offer any advice? What else do I need to know?

Thanks, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed May 09, 2007 2:42 pm

IIRC the 091 is a bit longer so you need to hink around with the linkage.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Transmission swap

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 11, 2007 7:10 am

satchmo wrote:I have a 73 bus with the 002 transmission (170K miles). I just built up my motor to a 2.0 liter and want to upgrade to the 091 transmission. I know about the larger flywheel, clutch and different starter that are needed.
Do you have the 228mm flywheel on your engine now?
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri May 11, 2007 8:02 am

Amskeptic wrote:
satchmo wrote:I have a 73 bus with the 002 transmission (170K miles). I just built up my motor to a 2.0 liter and want to upgrade to the 091 transmission. I know about the larger flywheel, clutch and different starter that are needed.
Nope. 2.0 liter engine bolted up to old unadaulterated transmission required that I use old FW to match.
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 12, 2007 8:18 am

satchmo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Nope. 2.0 liter engine bolted up to old unadaulterated transmission required that I use old FW to match.
I have the 210mm flywheel/clutch with an 091 transaxle. I just used my old bell housing on the 091. Slipped right together. If your 2.0 is a torquey engine, you might want to just upgrade the flywheel/clutch and put in the complete 091 with a starter for it, yer done.
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:52 am

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd dust this one off and use it.

I have a 1970 bus. As it should, it has the upright Type 1 engine that the PO has built out to 2 liter (goes fast, works great). When the engine was upgraded, the PO also installed a 091 transmission to be "better suited" to the additional power from the upgraded engine.

Enough history for now, here's the question. When a 091 transmission is substituted for a 002, what else needs to be changed?
chitwnvw wrote:IIRC the 091 is a bit longer so you need to hink around with the linkage.
What "hinking" is required? Different rear shift rod? Does anyone know FOR SURE? Not that I'm beyond speculating, but my situation has reached new a level on the frustration chart and I'm bound and determined to correct the problem with known facts and a clear, concise plan of attack.

O.k. More history. As some of you may know, I continue to be plagued by shifting issues. Specifically, SOMETIMES, the transmission won't go into first gear easily. This is almost ALWAYS the case when going from reverse to first. It's as if the gears aren't "sync'd" up properly. Now I know, this doesn't necessarily sound like a linkage problem, but like I said, I want to make SURE I have everything as it needs to be prior to claiming warranty work on the transmission overhaul I just spent big $$$ on.

In full disclosure, I am an idiot. I did not remove and inspect the rear shift rod when I had the engine and transmission out. My posterior is still red from the self-inflicted chewing it continues to receive over this. What I want to do now is find out what pieces of the puzzle should be in place, verify those are there, and continue on with my quest for smooth, successful shifting.

Thank you all for the help.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am

dtrumbo wrote:In full disclosure, I am an idiot. I did not remove and inspect the rear shift rod when I had the engine and transmission out.
Duh, there's only room for one of us in this hear town.

Now then, please do not flagellate yourself over the stupid rear shift rod bushing, it has NOTHING to do with your shifting issue. Nothing.
Colin

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 am

Amskeptic wrote:Now then, please do not flagellate yourself over the stupid rear shift rod bushing, it has NOTHING to do with your shifting issue. Nothing.
Colin
O.k. Ceasing flagellation. Any other ideas? Perhaps it's time to take the bus with the rebuilt transmission in it to the transmission rebuilder to see for himself what it does and what his thoughts are.
- Dick

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:04 pm

dtrumbo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Now then, please do not flagellate yourself over the stupid rear shift rod bushing, it has NOTHING to do with your shifting issue. Nothing.
Colin
O.k. Ceasing flagellation. Any other ideas? Perhaps it's time to take the bus with the rebuilt transmission in it to the transmission rebuilder to see for himself what it does and what his thoughts are.
Is that the one you got from Daryl? You are so close, I'd take it in. On the testimonial front, The transmission Daryl sent me had a heck of a time getting into 2nd. Colin thought he was driving a tranny with hundreds of thousands of miles and 2nd was about to go. This spring I had planned on sending it back to Daryl in the fall...if it made it that long. After a thousand miles or so, it smoothed out really quickly, now it's a joy to drive.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:16 pm

chitwnvw wrote:...This spring I had planned on sending it back to Daryl in the fall...if it made it that long. After a thousand miles or so, it smoothed out really quickly, now it's a joy to drive.
Interesting you say this. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think the more I drive it, the better it seems. I thought it was my imagination or the fact that I REALLY want it to work properly, but I swear it's a little better than when I drove it the first time out after installation.

I'm going to give him a call and see if he'll take my bus for a spin. That way he'll see what I'm talking about which, as we know from dealing with problems here on the forum, is MUCH easier to understand than spoken (or written) descriptions.
- Dick