Automatic Transmission Fluid 1976 Bay Window Bus

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid 1976 Bay Window Bus

Post by asiab3 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Dexron III is proven to work, but I have no experience. No experience with Dextron either.... ;)

This might just be a case of clean and fresh being better than old and dirty...

For what it’s worth, the late bus automatic transaxles are shared with the Vanagon and other VW/Audi offerings, so when searching the internet for info, don’t ignore pages about those cars too!

See you on the road,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Kit Whistler wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am
Sunshine, my ‘76 bay window, has an automatic transmission and the fluid currently indicates low. Seeing as we’ve driven an incredible number of miles on this tranny, I believe I should do a flush of the fluid. Ya know, do it right.

Dextron III is the way to go...

Do not do a flush. Do only a simple drain and refill, about three + quarts. Then do another drain and refill in 1,000 miles with a pan drop and filter change. Then do another drain and refill in 2,000 miles. That is equivalent to a full flush but it is much gentler.

What we have discovered over the years, is that *marketers* have leaned heavily on automated "flushes" and the assault of highly detergented fresh fluid stirs up sediment and causes full transmission failures.

(Robbie, this is exactly the same issue that happened when non-detergent oil adherents sold their non-filtered early Volkswagens to new owners who were adherents to detergent oil, all hell could break loose)

There are many opinions out there in the wilds of the internet. Some will say to use Type F fluid. Use the recommended Dexron III. Yeah, without the "t".
ColinSayHeyToJR
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:24 am

Dexron lll for years in my auto. Runs happily down the road daily!
76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)