74 Manual Won't Go Into Gear

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: 74 Manual Won't Go Into Gear

Post by whc03grady » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Now another question:
The nosecone was formerly sealed to the gear carrier with just some silicone. However I have acquired the paper gasket that fits between them. Should I use
  • (a) just the gasket
    (b) just the silicone
    (c) both
(I'm guessing the consensus is (b).)
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:47 pm

I don't like silicone/RTV as a gasket for surfaces where clearances matter. The mainshaft bearing will pound out the nosecone with excess clearance, so I think here, it matters. Real engine sealants like Kuril, Permatex Aviation, or Hylomar actually compress and seal, where Silicones/RTVs can add a few thousandths to the parts stackup. I do not know what VW used, but I do know that many old posts on TheSamba talk about those gaskets being hard to find as of years and years ago. Good on 'ya for finding one. To play devil's advocate here, Permatex actually makes an RTV that is especially formulated to withstand the additives in hypoid oil.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81182-Ge ... B0023GM2KK

So while this post doesn't actually make a decision for you, maybe you can make your judgement call a little more informed? I had good success with clean mating surfaces and Permatex Aviation only last year, but I only did a few thousand miles before I pulled the trans for a popping-gear issue.

Good luck!
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:09 pm

whc03grady wrote:Now another question:
The nosecone was formerly sealed to the gear carrier with just some silicone. However I have acquired the paper gasket that fits between them. Should I use
  • (a) just the gasket
    (b) just the silicone
    (c) both
    d) gasket + Permatex Aviation
D
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles