Swapping Sides - CV Axles

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Swapping Sides - CV Axles

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:18 am

In the past, Amskeptic has written about the benefits of swapping sides of CV axles. So, after 11,506 miles, I did mine like this:

I wonder if the next time I should rotate them only, keeping them at the same sides?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Swapping Sides - CV Axles

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:52 pm

BellePlaine wrote: I wonder if the next time I should rotate them only, keeping them at the same sides?

You accomplish nothing by keeping them on the same of the car, even if you flip them end for end you will have the same wear patterns in the same "windward" spots on the tracks as the forces go through the axle. Only by crossing the centerline of the car do you change all the prior "windward" wear contact points to the fresh "leeward" ones, as now, the forces go through the axle in exactly the reverse.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:34 pm

The picture didnt quite explain the procedure and the sailing jargon only complicated it.

iF i am to do perform the famous 'Bay Bridge flip' manouver from the comfort of my driveway, then

Outer driverside ends up at ______

Outer passenger side ends up at ______

Other questions re CV axles: are early Bay and late bay interchangeable ? I notice the bolts seem to be of different length...also some of the donuts seem to have gaskets, others not...
Do the stamped numbers on the hub piece always face outwards ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:41 pm

The Procedure: put the driver's side axle on the passenger side, and vice versa. It's that simple. End-for-end does not matter.

The joints are interchangeable, 68-79, as entire units, although construction details changed over the years (different ball sizes, etc.). Bolt lengths can't be very different, or
the ends would scrape on the behind-flange stuff. The joints were all the same thickness, so a bolt that worked in joint A should be fine in joint B. Some early designs of
the funny 2-hole spacer-washers are not compatible with later 1-piece boot+flange units. Nobody cares about gaskets, and I gave up on donuts thirty years ago.
Here's some CVJ lore: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432312

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:34 pm

dingo wrote:The picture didnt quite explain the procedure and the sailing jargon only complicated it.
Put the left on the right and the right on the left, as kreemoweet wrote.

Tack the damn bolts to the keel and raise the plank ya limey
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles