Bell housing swap

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Bell housing swap

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm not finding much in my Bentley re: taking the bell housing off. Looks like there might be a gasket between it and the transaxle housing? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Putting the intact bell housing onto my old transaxle to put into Bertha.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Bell housing swap

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:25 am

ruckman101 wrote:I'm not finding much in my Bentley re: taking the bell housing off. Looks like there might be a gasket between it and the transaxle housing? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Putting the intact bell housing onto my old transaxle to put into Bertha.

neal
Somewhere, I wrote about loosening the bolts only a couple of turns then looking in the space you have opened up for the paper gasket. You make sure it is not stuck to both surfaces (if it is stuck to one, that is OK) and use a razor blade carefully to unstick it from the one that is easiest. Then you can proceed with disassembly. It is an easy basic job that likes cleanliness to help your Permatex Aviation prevent leaks. Then, the next time you need to separate the two, you best have a new gasket because this one will be destroyed at next disassembly.

This is a good opportunity to replace the input shaft seal because you can just pop it out from the inside, and it is a good opportunity to clean the differential housing.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Didn't go there yet. No time. Working this evening. Got everything back together and into the bus yesterday, gotta hook everything up today before I head to work tonight.

I may have found a used bell housing to replace the broken one.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:01 pm

I would want to drain the oil before beginning the task no doubt.
Stand it on end?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:09 am

ruckman101 wrote:I would want to drain the oil before beginning the task no doubt.
Stand it on end?
Drain oil. If you stand it up on end, the oil will dribble out of the vent hole.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles