Post by chachi » Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Input Shaft Pulls Out? 5-rib

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 01, 2013 7:50 pm

chachi wrote:thanks to both of you for your help on this. it doesn't look broken off and i haven't measured it but it very well could be protruding a 1/2". this is a messy, smelly project that i can only work on sporadically so i haven't got back to it but it is imminent. i forsee some sort of attempt with pliers on the unthreded section of the nose of that screw, just to see if it will easily back out a little. if it starts to be at all damaging or challenging i'm going to stop and re-approach.

KoW, thanks for that assembly procedure, that is exactly how i saw it going down.
Seeing as we have been nursing a clutch catastrophe thread with your name on it, and we have this thread too, do you see a relationship between the two? I do.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: Input Shaft Pulls Out? 5-rib

Post by kreemoweet » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 pm

chachi wrote: i forsee some sort of attempt with pliers on the unthreded section of the nose of that screw, just to see if it will easily back out a little ...
Unless I misremember (it's been a few years since I had my mitts inside my differential housing), that is supposed to be an ordinary,
100% threaded stud -- screws easily with fingers into and out of shaft. So, it would seem we have evidence of damage -- there may
well be corresponding damage to the threads inside the input shaft. This would explain why the shaft would not thread on, as well
as how the input shaft could pull loose in the first place.

Ahh, trans oil, never been one of my favorites. Could be worse: this isn't proctology, after all.