79 Westfalia Automatic Upshift Points

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mross
I'm New!

79 Westfalia Automatic Upshift Points

Post by mross » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:57 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question about my automatic bus's upshift points and kickdown linkage adjustment. I just put the engine back in it (removed for rebuild). It appears that I have it mostly right, but am not sure at what speeds the transmission should upshift to the next gear. Currently, it upshifts to 2nd at about 18mph, and 3rd seems to upshift late at around 32 - 35 mph. Is this correct? It's been so long since I have driven it, I honestly forgot at what speeds it is supposed to upshift. I had the kickdown linkage marked when i disassembled it to remove the engine, but then lost the mark (oops!) when i started cleaning all of the parts. I haven't stomped the pedal yet to see if the kickdown is working because the engine is still new. Oh also, this bus is a 79 with 010 automatic transmission, type 4 engine and stock fuel injection.

Thanks!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 79 Westfalia Automatic Upshift Points

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:37 pm

mross wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a question about my automatic bus's upshift points and kickdown linkage adjustment. I just put the engine back in it (removed for rebuild). It appears that I have it mostly right, but am not sure at what speeds the transmission should upshift to the next gear. Currently, it upshifts to 2nd at about 18mph, and 3rd seems to upshift late at around 32 - 35 mph. Is this correct? It's been so long since I have driven it, I honestly forgot at what speeds it is supposed to upshift. I had the kickdown linkage marked when i disassembled it to remove the engine, but then lost the mark (oops!) when i started cleaning all of the parts. I haven't stomped the pedal yet to see if the kickdown is working because the engine is still new. Oh also, this bus is a 79 with 010 automatic transmission, type 4 engine and stock fuel injection.

Thanks!
Those are correct, with a caveat. A fresh rebuild has extra internal friction that is changing the load signal because you have to open the throttle plate a bit more. This makes the transmission think you are trying to accelerate, and it responds by holding it in gear longer. Your 1-2 speed is a bit high, the 2-3 speed is the more normal of the two. Once you do get on it, and now is not a bad time to load up the rings a little, the transmission will shift from 2nd to 3rd at 40-45-50 mph depending on how far your foot is in it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mross
I'm New!

Post by mross » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Awesome! Thank you; that takes a load off of my mind! As far as the 18mph 1-2 shift it's kind of hard to see what speed you're going, as the speedometer needle seems to move around a bit at low speed. I suspect that I need to remove the gauge cluster and oil the speedometer drive cable. I do have one more question, however. So I shouldn't be afraid of freeway speeds during the first 100 miles on the new engine? I live in the city, and it's hard to get above about 35mph without getting on the freeway.

Thanks again!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:19 pm

mross wrote:Awesome! Thank you; that takes a load off of my mind! As far as the 18mph 1-2 shift it's kind of hard to see what speed you're going, as the speedometer needle seems to move around a bit at low speed. I suspect that I need to remove the gauge cluster and oil the speedometer drive cable. I do have one more question, however. So I shouldn't be afraid of freeway speeds during the first 100 miles on the new engine? I live in the city, and it's hard to get above about 35mph without getting on the freeway.

Thanks again!
I do not know the nature of your rebuild, but if it is a quality job, now is the time to get those rings seated by moderately firm acceleration in 2nd gear only, from 20 to 45 mph and let it coast back down in gear to 20 again, do this about five times, drive gently for another several miles to let the engine cool down and take away some of the ring/cylinder wall flakes, then repeat another five times, and change the oil at 100 miles. Do not baby it. Drive normally definitely get some short freeway in the mix. The only thing you do not do with a fresh rebuild is go lock it in at 70 mph for several hours. You want a mix of driving with plenty of cool-down opportunities. Are you mechanically proficient?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

mross
I'm New!

Post by mross » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:52 am

Ok, cool. I got the rebuilt engine from a well - respected, nationally known engine builder. Unfortunately, his only instructions were to take it easy for the first 100 miles, change the oil, then change the oil at 500 miles. He ran the engine before shipping it to me to break in the camshaft. The engine also came with the endplay set and the drive plate installed. I did the rest of the work myself (install oil cooler, tins, fuel injection, put engine and transaxle back in). As far as mechanical proficiency, I do all of my own repairs to the bus and my Honda daily driver, but have not built an engine yet.

Edit: I meant to write change the oil after 100 miles, then change it again at 500 miles.