Oh Crap! I think I just killed it.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:06 pm

hambone wrote:"Seller is a jerk who called me "trailer trash" and "working class scum". Then went on to brag about his airplanes & money. Nice Guy. "

Why would you give someone like that your $$$$? Doesn't seem like you.
He was very nice. Until I got the heads and complained that they were in much worse shape than advertised. Then he showed his true colors. Damn e-Bay!

I didn't get a chance to finish putting things together yesterday. Spent my day installing smoke detectors & fire doors. My wife works nights now so I only have the few hours between my work & hers to do anything.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:22 pm

Sluggo wrote:
hambone wrote:"Seller is a jerk who called me "trailer trash" and "working class scum". Then went on to brag about his airplanes & money. Nice Guy. "

He was very nice. Until I got the heads and complained that they were in much worse shape than advertised. Then he showed his true colors. Damn e-Bay!

I didn't get a chance to finish putting things together yesterday. Spent my day installing smoke detectors & fire doors. My wife works nights now so I only have the few hours between my work & hers to do anything.
Okay, bear with me here.....When I discuss politics, the right wingers seem fine until I bring up facts and they can't argue, so then they insult.
This happens alot with kids too when they are plain wrong.
So, this guy is very nice, you complain about heads,,he can't explain why or how come, so he insults....Sound familiar?
Kinda funny too, it backs my theory that those who pay more attention to the exterior of themselves, their house, etc, etc seems to have a much less attractive inside,,,,inside as in their inner self.. So, to sum it up,,he is probably crap on the inside,,,knew he was doing you wrong, had nothing he could say so he insulted you, and he pays more attention to exterior stuff cause the inside of him is crap..... :flower:

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:37 pm

steve74baywin wrote:
Sluggo wrote:

Okay, bear with me here.....When I discuss politics, the right wingers seem fine until I bring up facts and they can't argue, so then they insult.
This happens alot with kids too when they are plain wrong.
So, this guy is very nice, you complain about heads,,he can't explain why or how come, so he insults....Sound familiar?
Kinda funny too, it backs my theory that those who pay more attention to the exterior of themselves, their house, etc, etc seems to have a much less attractive inside,,,,inside as in their inner self.. So, to sum it up,,he is probably crap on the inside,,,knew he was doing you wrong, had nothing he could say so he insulted you, and he pays more attention to exterior stuff cause the inside of him is crap..... :flower:
That's pretty much my theory. And you just described at least half the people in L.A.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Got her together and started her up yesterday. Only ran her for about 5 minutes then had to report for baby duty. Little bit of tapping from the 3/4 side. Went out this morning and re-adjusted (I adjusted them before the first start up) the valves. Started her up and she ran like butter.

The oil pressure problem is also solved. Start up PSI is 85. 12 PSI at warm idle. 60 PSI at 3500 RPM. Running Rotella 15-40.

Drove her downtown to do some Christmas shopping. Everything went great. It was Hollywood traffic so I never got above 35 MPH. But I drove for about 45 minutes. Got home and no leaks at all. Not even the previously leaky flywheel & #3 head! Dry as a bone.

Now I gotta take care of the horrible mileage and I'll be all set.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Congratulations.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:21 pm

Sluggo wrote: started her up yesterday. ran like butter.
oil pressure problem solved.
no leaks at all.
Right on, right on, right ON.
You are the IAC Poster Child For Perseverence!
Colin

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:34 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Right on, right on, right ON.
You are the IAC Poster Child For Perseverence!
Colin
Thank You!

Did you get my e-mail?

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 pm

Excellent! :cheers:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:56 am

Awright! Wished I could've been there! Well... maybe not. I would've been a nervous wreck!!!!

You have definatly crossed over. You have passed through the gate into "Rusty Nut" land. Congrads.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:46 am

bottomend wrote:You have passed through the gate into "Rusty Nut" land. Congrads.
Through the gate into "Go Anywhere Anytime, You'll Make It Happen Land."

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:17 pm

You know, it actually seems to run smoother and have just a little more power. I guess that would be the increased oil pressure. Would make sense. Everything is getting the proper amount of lubrication now.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

bottomend

Post by bottomend » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Finally! So, then, It WAS the fuel pump pushrod that was the cause of the low pressure?

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:41 pm

bottomend wrote:Finally! So, then, It WAS the fuel pump pushrod that was the cause of the low pressure?
Actually, it was the Fuel Pump Pushrod Bushing. If you pull the gallery plug closest to the fuel pump bore, you can look inside and it's pretty obvious why. The lifter gallery bore intersects the the pushrod bore at a perfect 90* angle. The pushrod bore sits halfway lower than the lifter gallery bore. IOW, even though they meet at a perfect 90* angle, they aren't exactly at the same level. This leaves the upper side of the bushing visible. And it keeps the lifter gallery separate from the fuel pump bore. If you pull the gallery plug, you can see that without the bushing the oil would empty into the case. Rather than remain in the lifter gallery, exit through the appropriate smaller bores, and stay pressurized. I wish I had a working camera. A picture would show it easily.

It was probably robbing the lifters, cam bearing & crank bearings of oil too! I believe they feed off of that gallery.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:27 am

Sluggo wrote:You know, it actually seems to run smoother and have just a little more power.
Keep rubbing it in. :irwin:

bottomend

Post by bottomend » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:02 am

I can visualize the area you're speaking about. I know it's a tight fit with relation to the two bores intersecting. Jake talks about being VERY carefull when installing a gallery plug in this area due to this tight juncture. He says if you drill the threads too deep you'll loose a ton of OP. He didn't ever say WHY, but know we know.

It almost makes you want to experience a failure in this area now that we know the cure, huh!? Luv fixin' problems!