rebuilt type4 motor on craigslist - would you?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

rebuilt type4 motor on craigslist - would you?

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:00 pm

The original ad was kinda vague, so I called and left a message asking for more info. They ended up posting more details to the add itself (and added $200 to the asking price!) :

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/pts/1632337979.html
Complete Type 4 'zero Mile' rebuilt performance motor. Built with NOS vintage parts including Claudes buggies parts etc... New factory heads. New OE, GE 2L case. New P&L's. Pauter Machine Hydraulic performance grind. New factory heater boxes. All tin present as well as cooling flaps. All German parts. Complete with new plug wires, spark plugs, German 009 with new points and condenser, VDO oil pressure sender and Oil pressure gauge mounted on block. Comes with new CB Weber/ DRLA manifolds. A real gem of a motor

it was built for a sand rail project that was never finished, which is why it's finally up for sale now. I don't even know if I could use this in my vanagon - does the tinware for the vanagon engine bay even mount to a non-vanagon type4 case? or is it as simple as just swapping out the fan housing with the vanagon one?

I know ive heard of "Pauter Machine" before as a higher end builder of type 4 parts, so if the heads are truly NOS VW german made, (I doubt the case would be a NOS item with a GE code, but who knows for sure) - could be a LOT more than $2k worth of parts sitting there. It could also just explode right away from being put together poorly!
1979 California Transporter

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:07 pm

btw, this guy seems to have a ton of old NOS VW bits he's getting rid of.
if anyone happened to call and wanted me to save/ship something, im happy to do so. I can't vouch for him, but I could certainly call up and go take a look at something in particular if you needed.

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/pts/1633716335.html
1979 California Transporter

markd89
I'm New!

Post by markd89 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Engine seems like a good deal to me if it's really new arts built by someone who knows what they're doing... I'm not sure how I could tell that though..

Mark

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:36 am

That's not a Bus motor, it's a 411/12 motor, and so are the heat exchangers.