Oil Coming Up Through Dipstick Tube

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

EZ Gruv
Getting Hooked!

Oil Coming Up Through Dipstick Tube

Post by EZ Gruv » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:54 am

Beginning yesterday, I have a substantial amount of oil that seems to be coming from the dipstick tube. I suppose it could be coming out of either the top of the tube where the dipstick mates to the tube, or from where the tube comes through the shroud.

I already pulled the fan off and although there is oil in the shroud, the hub seal is dry (not oily). The back of the fan itself is bone dry.
Also, I did the screwdriver trick to make my dipstick more secure in the tube (spreading the metal pieces). That didn't seem to help.

Now I just put on a Viton tube seal on Saturday. Coincidence? Perhaps...but that area seems pretty oil free.

2.0L Type IV
77 Westy
74 Super Beetle

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Excessive crankcase pressure? Breather clogged up, maybe?

Just a couple of things that come immediately to mind...
EZ Gruv wrote:Coincidence?
Heh. The are no coincidences... :geek:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

EZ Gruv
Getting Hooked!

Post by EZ Gruv » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:17 pm

I am the king of coincidences it seems; whenever I do a repair, something nearby gets jacked.
77 Westy
74 Super Beetle

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:01 pm

EZ Gruv wrote:I am the king of coincidences it seems; whenever I do a repair, something nearby gets jacked.
As someone who suffers from a similar impairment, breaking something while fixing something else is not a coincidence.

EZ Gruv
Getting Hooked!

Post by EZ Gruv » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Picked up a box of o-rings of varying sizes at Pep Boys. I started with a 6mm ID stuffed way up in the cap. Figuring there was room for improvement, I stuck a 5mm ID ring on there as well.

Now I can feel the dipstick becoming snug in the tube.
I did the install in the Pep Boys parking lot and wiped up the oil that was on the engine tin.
Once I got home, I didn't notice any new oil.

I spent some time cleaning up everything once at home. I pulled the breather box apart and cleaned it as well as I could as well.

I ran it for a few minutes in the driveway with no leak. We'll see how it goes on the way to work tomorrow.
77 Westy
74 Super Beetle

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Make sure the crankcase vent system is working ok otherwise it's too much blowby not a good thing at all.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

EZ Gruv
Getting Hooked!

Post by EZ Gruv » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 am

After the standard commute to work, there was no oil on the tin or anywhere else noticable. I took a new photo, but have no way to upload it at work.

We'll see what it looks like after I get home tonight.
77 Westy
74 Super Beetle

EZ Gruv
Getting Hooked!

Post by EZ Gruv » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Here is the area after a day's use:

Not too shabby.
77 Westy
74 Super Beetle

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but if a stock dipstick is not sealed, then you all you've done is hidden a symptom of a much larger problem.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:28 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Not to rain on your parade, but if a stock dipstick is not sealed, then you all you've done is hidden a symptom of a much larger problem.
I am confused by this.

Are you saying, "if a stock dipstick was passing oil and you seal it, you have just hidden or masked the problem of excessive blow-by"?

Is that the "much larger problem"?

I have found that the dipstick is just the dipstick. It wants to be sealed to keep airborne contamination out of the oil, and its sealing is critical to the correct calibration of the fuel injection. If there is so much blowby that the dipstick is blowing oil, a fresh nice seal doesn't have a chance of keeping it back "and then allowing the front seal or breather gaskets to pop".
Generally, the bottom of the dipstick is under the liquid line, as is the oil fill pipe where the dipstick passes through. That means that there is absolutely no crankcase pressure that will ever have an effect on the air inside the dipstick tube that resides above the oil line. The filler cap-to-pipe has a different life. It can be affected by the crankcase air pressure and you can feel it as you loosen it on an idling engine.

Still confused.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Are you saying, "if a stock dipstick was passing oil and you seal it, you have just hidden or masked the problem of excessive blow-by"?
Yes exactly what I meant.
Take care,
Rick

73Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 73Kombi » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:07 am

Hey Eric,

Kinda funny you got the exact same answer I gave you over on the Samba. PCP (positive crankcase pressure) is the reason you have oil coming out your dipstick, all the 0-rings in the world wont fix that.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 pm

73Kombi wrote:Hey Eric,

Kinda funny you got the exact same answer I gave you over on the Samba. PCP (positive crankcase pressure) is the reason you have oil coming out your dipstick, all the 0-rings in the world wont fix that.
I don't know that this is the conclusion we have drawn.

He stuck on a new seal (or two) and so far has reported that the oil is no longer leaking from the dipstick.

I suggested above that crankcase pressure actually is limited in its ability to enter the dipstick tube seeing as it dips below the oil line. Most dipstick leaks I have run across, other than an obvious leaky boot, are because the dipstick itself is bent or the cork gasket originally provided is long gone.
Colin

73Kombi
I'm New!

Post by 73Kombi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:21 am

Amskeptic wrote:I don't know that this is the conclusion we have drawn.

He stuck on a new seal (or two) and so far has reported that the oil is no longer leaking from the dipstick.
True and I have done the same thing (o-ring) to mine back in September and it works fine around town, but at prolonged trips with high rpms I was still seeing oil leaking. Yes my engine is pretty tired, yet still trucking.
Amskeptic wrote:I suggested above that crankcase pressure actually is limited in its ability to enter the dipstick tube seeing as it dips below the oil line
This is actually pretty easy to test! I just went out and checked my oil...full. Then placed a piece of spare fuel line on the dip stick tube and blew into it. I got no resistance, maybe an occasional slight bubble sound, (think bong) but clearly, if the engine were running, and oil were in the heads and not just sitting in the sump, it would be exposed to PCP.

Still tryin' to learn.
Shawn

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:27 pm

73Kombi wrote:I have done the same thing (o-ring) to mine back in September and it works fine around town, but at prolonged trips with high rpms I was still seeing oil leaking. Yes my engine is pretty tired,
. . . . thus proving my original point. A leaking dipstick is a symptom not a cause. There is a nice little bending trick you can do to the half piece to let it grip the tube a tad better. Just stick a flat bladed screwdriver in the "slot" while clamping the end of it against the longer side. Twist the screwdriver in the slot to bow it out a tad. Woiks poifick.
Colin