Oil Coming Up Through Dipstick Tube

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ktk833
I'm New!

Re: Oil Coming Up Through Dipstick Tube

Post by ktk833 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi.
I need help related to this topic. I acquired a type 4 engine that has no opening for a dipstick and has non at all. I suspect the oil filler tube is where it might have been originally but oil filler replaced with the type that doesn't have that provision.
I am looking for ways to get a dipstick re-introduced. Would someone kindly advice on this. Would someone direct me where I can get the oil filler that has the slot for the dipstick!!! I can't drive an engine with no dipstick... how do I tell when to refill??

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:59 am

ktk833 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:25 pm
Hi.
I need help related to this topic. I acquired a type 4 engine that has no opening for a dipstick and has non at all. I suspect the oil filler tube is where it might have been originally but oil filler replaced with the type that doesn't have that provision.
I am looking for ways to get a dipstick re-introduced. Would someone kindly advice on this. Would someone direct me where I can get the oil filler that has the slot for the dipstick!!! I can't drive an engine with no dipstick... how do I tell when to refill??

Got your PM and could not tell which engine you had. So, here we are. IF you have a Porsche or 412 engine, there is a dipstick tube that comes down from the top. It is subtle and enters the case directly below the cut-out in the right upper cover tin. If the tube were there, it would be filling the cut-out.

If this is going in a bus after an overhaul, you can machine the lower right corner of the case when it is apart for the usual oil fill pipe, but you need to see if there is a dipstick tube pipe bisecting the fan housing that goes into the fill pipe with the rubber bellow (that we all endeavor to have a spare to).

If it is a plug and play engine, you can get the tube and dipstick for a Porsche/412. Look closely at your engine for a tube that has hopefully not been brazed shut.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ktk833
I'm New!

Post by ktk833 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 am

Hi.
Thank you for your response. I am fortunate to have both versions now... a block with the dipstick hole and the other I was talking about initially but now with an extra oil fill pipe that has provision for the stick through the fan shroud.
I appreciate.
Cheers.