Broken/stripped cam gear

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Hiya All,

So, I'm looking at the Brad Penn website and I run across this line in the SAE 30 wt page...........

"Excellent oil for vintage and air-cooled applications requiring a straight grade oil."

Question here being............Do any of the PDX contingent know if this stuff is avalable in the Portland area?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:14 pm

RZAR wrote: Builder claimed it was due to todays oils not containing enough zinc (but I use Brad Penn 20/50).
So is your builder suggesting the lack of zinc caused wear only in one area on the cam gear? And left the other areas alone? That's....interesting.

I agree with Colin: the cam gear mesh wasn't good from the beginning.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Post by RZAR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:16 pm

That's what he said. And being the person who he is I was very surprise he would say some B.S. like that. And he knows that I am a field technician for Caterpillar.
77 Bus. Stock 2.0 FI with Computronix ignitor and coil

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 pm

That's freaky. I've never heard of that before. What would cause a shear of 1/3 of your cogs?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya All,

So, I'm looking at the Brad Penn website and I run across this line in the SAE 30 wt page...........

"Excellent oil for vintage and air-cooled applications requiring a straight grade oil."

Question here being............Do any of the PDX contingent know if this stuff is avalable in the Portland area?
It is available but I can't remember who I found carries it right now. It was a shop down off of Columbia I think. I think there is a spot somewhere on their site to look up local suppliers.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 am

Hiya Jasan,

I tried their website. No retail locater there.

Looks like I just may have to zap an e-mail their way for specifics.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:00 am

That cam gear looks exactly like the one I had mentioned in an earlier post.

I'd like to understand the failure mode....
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

themarshotel7
I'm New!

Post by themarshotel7 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:46 pm

I know this is old but I thought I would mention that I too had an AVP cam strip out on me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:12 pm

themarshotel7 wrote:I know this is old but I thought I would mention that I too had an AVP cam strip out on me.
Was it a bolt-on? Was it magnesium? Did it have my favorite cause of failure, non-concentricity where a tight spot causes destruction of oil film/galling?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: Broken/stripped cam gear

Post by Jivermo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:55 am

What ever happened here? Was the engine rebuilt? Did the guy stand behind his work? From your location, i suspect I know who the rebuilder is, and he is doing a 2L engine for me, as we speak, with a Schneider cam. Do I begin to pace now?

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't think it would be taboo to just say the guys name. were talking about headflowmasters right?
1979 California Transporter

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Yes. I'm not really concerned, though. Things are always happening, and risk is inherent in about everything you do. I guess I'll just get very good messing with these engines, over the long haul.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:09 am

Jivermo wrote:What ever happened here? Was the engine rebuilt? Did the guy stand behind his work? From your location, i suspect I know who the rebuilder is, and he is doing a 2L engine for me, as we speak, with a Schneider cam. Do I begin to pace now?
Are you asking about the resolution of RZAR's engine from 2009? Shoot him an email and ask him where he has been, that we all have been waiting and WAITING . . .
Colin
(RZAR was Yet Another Huffy Exit (case # 1,377FS ) from my use of the word "niggardly" in the Free Speech forum that I was telling you about. My life is littered with the detritus of misunderstandings)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:13 am

Shame that he left, but in a 2009 thread, he did say:
I had my engine rebuilt by Adrian at Headflowmaters
This is the first time I've heard something negative about him. Just last week he spotted a weld on my core cylinder head that two other shops missed. :scratch:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:33 am

Whoa! Guess I missed that one. Nothing that paying attention in middle school English class couldn't have resolved. Or picking up some books over the course of years and reading them, and looking up the words you don't quite get. But wait! We are in the Land of Today, in which dummies run amock, Judge Judy rules by sarcasm, and daytime TV spreads brain death quicker than runny noses in daycare. I'm lamenting that I have so few opportunities to use the word, "niggardly" in the course of daily affairs. Those who have used it in public speech in recent years have paid a price for being, well...educated. I take serious offense with those who mess with my language, as in the following:
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/accordi ... _newscred/
Caving to morons, is what is happening! Good Gawdawmighty!