Sump plate o-ring gasket

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JereandJess
Getting Hooked!

Sump plate o-ring gasket

Post by JereandJess » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:05 pm

See part "O"? It's a rubber O-ring for the sump plate.

It's hard to find info on it, because both plates are called sump plates, but this does not use the 2 paper gaskets like the one with the screen does. This one is rubber.

Bus Depot just told me that they can't get anymore of them. I guess they were getting them from VW. Bus-Boys.com indicates they can still get it. I guess that's where I will order it from, but I am looking for other solutions to the oil leak.

Since only 2 bolts hold that plate on, it could be warped right?

I didn't check that when I had it out. Silly me. I just cleaned it up and put it back on. The o-ring looked in great shape. Nice and pliable, no rips or dents or anything. I have not even run the engine yet this year, and a drip has already formed on one of the screws since I had changed the oil and really cleaned up the engine.

Any suggestions? Would I be wasting the $6 plus shipping from bus-boys?

The 2 new paper gaskets went on the screen sump plate great and there are no visible leaks yet.....
Jeremy

~Jeremy (and Jessica)
77 Sage Green Westfalia 2.0 FI
78 Blue Landmark camper 2.0 FI
69 Beetle

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Sump plate o-ring gasket

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:16 pm

JereandJess wrote:
See part "O"? It's a rubber O-ring for the sump plate.
That o-ring, if it is intact, is usually good. They are supplied with engine overhaul gasket kits and are expected to last easily as long as your overhaul. The usual cause of leaks is not tightening the 10mm bolts evenly as you make sure the o-ring is concentric all the way around the perimeter of the sump plate (as opposed to "strainer plate"). Make sure you have fresh copper washers under the 10mm bolts. That will help stop drips at the bolts.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles