2.0L Type4 Crank May Be Toast :-(

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2.0L Type4 Crank May Be Toast :-(

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 23, 2007 5:04 pm

The Air-Cooled Ranch wrote: It always made a peculiar noise that I just attributed to a cam gear / case mis-match, and until this afternoon - I thought I had it sussed...

"local-at-the-time" VW-friendly machine shop told me there was a little burr on the crank which was why it hung up, but they got it all back together A-OK with a little bit of deburring on the crank.
it now appears that the shop may have just "deburred" the living sh*t out of the crank snout that accepts the gear stack.
any hints/tips/tricks at restoring the "heat 'n (b)eat" fit to the crank and gears?
I would opt for a hard chrome finish at the rear of the crank, only after you have determined that all other dimensions are to your satisfaction. The build-up must be exactly concentric or more woe will come your way as you check crank/cam mesh through full cam gear rotation. If you have nagging question about Rimco line-bore, what is your clue that all is not well with the case? For hard-core blueprint types, it appears that VW knew damn well that #2 main wants to thump and fret the case, look at the rebuild stats and #2 is always listed with a .0005" smaller clearance.
If your #2 saddle surfaces are fretted like old breaker points, you have a choice:
Replace the case.
Slap it back together and get another 200,000 miles like I did, because it passed the critical test of *no visible light between the cam saddle parting surface under the #2 main*
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: T4 Crank Issue

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 25, 2007 9:00 am

The Air-Cooled Ranch wrote: I've got a mess of gears to chose from, and I even recently found a +2 gear - first time I've EVER seen a "plus size" after all that time spent looking for 'em. Currently, there is a -6 holding the bottom-most rung in my collection, and prior to that I'd only seen a -5 as the "smallest".

it seems that the preponderance of the T4 gears I've seen are all on the minus end of the spectrum. Anyone out there seen to the contrary?
I so very desperately want a +2. Of all the stoopit things I ever done. . . chucking the OEM cam+ +2gear in the trash was the dummest.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Crank thing

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 28, 2007 6:38 am

The Air-Cooled Ranch wrote: Next time you're out in the deep south-west, give me a holler
You bet. Coming up during Itinerary II, I have Tucson, maybe Prescott, a visit to SW Nevada and California before i hit Texas on the way back.
Colin :bounce:

(this chat shall be deleted forthwith)

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:47 am

Preach the word! It doesn't have to cost a small fourtune to rebuild!!!!!

Hippopotabus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hippopotabus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:42 pm

combustion chambers to look more like a 1.8L shape with 54cc volume - up from 49cc. This allowed me to run the deck height to a much more respectible .060" figure and bump up the CR a bit from it's old figure. Chamber work and/or piston dishing takes much more time/effort than the quick 'n dirty shim under the barrel to set your CR, but you don't lose out on the benefits of squish and quench.
Ahhhhh yea!!!!! No shims and a tight deck gets you all the supermodels one can handle. Thanks Jim for doing the same to my reactor. I can atttest after 12k the Hippo's NEW reactor rockets. But it's the balance work that really brings it all together.

Nice Job on the new/old 2055 and take care of the Hippo's old aorta's. =D>