Clutch Replacement

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

westy78socal
I'm New!

Clutch Replacement

Post by westy78socal » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 pm

Does one need to remove the rear tire to replace the clutch. The Bentley and VW manual make it look like it. Disconnect the back part first and then the the pedle up front?

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 pm

Sounds like you're discussing replacing the clutch cable. Replacing the clutch itself is going to require a lot more than removing a rear tire; you have to remove the rear engine.

If you are in fact wondering about how to replace the clutch cable, the answer is No, you do not have to remove a tire. It can all be done with the tires in place and the bus on the ground. I suppose that if you want to avoid having to lay down under the bus in order to adjust the cable you'd remove the tire, but I've never bothered doing so.

My system is to 1) remove the wingnut on the cable at the transmission side, 2) remove the bowden tube bracket from the transmission, 3) go to the front of the bus and dismount the clutch pedal assembly, 4) pull out the old clutch cable, 5) reinstall the new clutch cable with an excess of grease, 6) put everything back together again, 7) adjust pedal free play by adjusting the wingnut on the transmission side of the cable.
Finally feels almost like a bus ought to feel!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:30 pm

Replace the clutch? You have to remove the engine to do that. Do you mean the clutch cable? If so no, you don't have to remove the tire. They probably just did that in the Bentley to get a clearer picture of the transmission.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

westy78socal
I'm New!

Cable

Post by westy78socal » Tue May 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Westy78 wrote:Replace the clutch? You have to remove the engine to do that. Do you mean the clutch cable? If so no, you don't have to remove the tire. They probably just did that in the Bentley to get a clearer picture of the transmission.
Yeah, I meant the clutch cable. Do you put the new cable in from the back end?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Re: Cable

Post by LiveonJG » Tue May 08, 2007 4:43 pm

westy78socal wrote:
Westy78 wrote:Replace the clutch? You have to remove the engine to do that. Do you mean the clutch cable? If so no, you don't have to remove the tire. They probably just did that in the Bentley to get a clearer picture of the transmission.
Yeah, I meant the clutch cable. Do you put the new cable in from the back end?
Remove the old one from the front, run the new one from the front to back. Take note of the route the old cable takes before you remove it! This step will save you some frustration. Be sure to liberally grease the new cable as you feed it through. AzironaZack 's advice will cover everything else.

-John
Keep it acoustic.