The world of Type IV heads

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

The world of Type IV heads

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:18 pm

Be nice, I'm a total noob when it comes to tearing into the inside of the engine. Never rebuilt one yet but I'd like to.

Anyway, is it possible to replace just one head by finding say another complete head and just bolting it on? It seems like if i found another complete 2L oval port head I could just bolt it on, then slap on the rocker arms, adjust them and be good to go.

It doesn't look like I've got hydraulic lifters on the heads either :(

Anyway is that a crazy idea or what? I don't care if the engine becomes a franken-engine but I'm just not ready to dump 600 into new heads on a crap engine or not ready to rebuild the engine.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Whip618
I'm New!

Post by Whip618 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:53 pm

That type of repair is done all the time, as long as the new head is the same part number as the one you are replacing there should not be a problem but you should compare valve sizes, combustion chamber sizes
and the condition of the exhaust studs anyway.

The lifters are in the case not in the heads.

I have lots of type IV heads give me the number off of the head you are going to replace and I'll see if I have a match for it.

Phil

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:09 am

You really should check the size of the chambers (CR)+ deck ht and balance the engine that way or it will run lumpy. (one side 7.5 to 1 and the other 7 to 1)
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:58 am

Bleyseng wrote:You really should check the size of the chambers (CR)+ deck ht and balance the engine that way or it will run lumpy. (one side 7.5 to 1 and the other 7 to 1)
But it's possible to have another head on there and balance it though without sending in two heads to be rebuilt, right?
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:40 am

Adventurewagen wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:You really should check the size of the chambers (CR)+ deck ht and balance the engine that way or it will run lumpy. (one side 7.5 to 1 and the other 7 to 1)
But it's possible to have another head on there and balance it though without sending in two heads to be rebuilt, right?
You'll absolutely have to CC both heads. But as long as the valve sizes are the same and the chamber shape is the same, it *should* be passable. But machine work can change the geometry of the head/cylinder mounting. It's better to do both at the same time just so the machinist can match work done on one to the other.

Another thing to think about is the other head will wear out before the new one. That means an extra engine drop and buttloads of labor. If your time has any value, it's more economical to do both at the same time from that perspective.