Singleport Intake Manifold

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Singleport Intake Manifold

Post by sped372 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 am

Any tips on installing a new manifold? I bought a new OEM one from aircooled.net - but even though it is not aftermarket the preheater pipes do not line up. Do I just have to get mean with this thing or are there any tips floating about out there?

Main problem is that the right (muffler junction not flexible) side is misaligned the worst. I can just about get the left side down because the riser off the muffler can be flexed a bit but the right is off about a quarter inch. Any thoughts before I wreck something?

Thanks!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:12 am

I once installed a JC Whitney muffler on a Beetle and nothing would line up right. Yeah you may have to get physical and bend those tubes a bit, but not too much.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Singleport Intake Manifold

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:25 am

sped372 wrote:Any tips on installing a new manifold? I bought a new OEM one from aircooled.net - right (muffler junction not flexible) side is misaligned the worst. I can just about get the left side down because the riser off the muffler can be flexed a bit but the right is off about a quarter inch.
Horizontal engines suffer tolerance issues very quickly. An engine with cylinder spacers or tight deck height will have different dimensions in a hurry. Try to assemble with all fasteners loose, the heat riser ends can be pried but they will loose parallel with the exhaust riser flanges, so keep an eye on things.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Well, after some wrestling, it's on there. Thank God I wasn't attempting it with the engine in the car.

Two tips for posterity:

1) A large hose clamp loosely around the runner helps give some leverage for pulling. Using a large flat-blade screwdriver through the clamp (as a noose), and prying against the thick, meaty exhaust-to-head junction I was able to persuade the right-hand side into place.

2) Putting a socket (with no driver) over the upper exhaust stud gives a bit of a place to pry against for pushing. Otherwise everything else is too far away or too fragile to wedge with.

Using these techniques, and a good bit of cursing, I was able to get the thing bolted down. Thanks for the suggestions.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX