IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: my (boring) engine rebuild thread

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:37 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:38 pm
Some pics
Thoughts on the pics?

Your camshaft is toast, but we already knew that.

Google, can you make an album there?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:28 pm

Yes, you can make an album on google, I will play with it.

Forgot to mention - as a tip, use a flashlight to ensure you've got all of the bolts/nuts/etc. removed that holds the case together. I was seeing day light around 2/3's of the case, but it was not wanting to let go. checked, double checked, and counted. All seemed good. Still didn't want to let go. Took a flashlight and found a nut towards the bell housing covered in oil/tar/grunge/goop that I had overlooked. Removed it, and it came apart like butta'.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:02 pm

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:28 pm
Yes, you can make an album on google, I will play with it.

Forgot to mention - as a tip, use a flashlight to ensure you've got all of the bolts/nuts/etc. removed that holds the case together. I was seeing day light around 2/3's of the case, but it was not wanting to let go. checked, double checked, and counted. All seemed good. Still didn't want to let go. Took a flashlight and found a nut towards the bell housing covered in oil/tar/grunge/goop that I had overlooked. Removed it, and it came apart like butta'.

At least it wasn't this one ...
Amskeptic wrote:Be very very sure that you have the center 13mm bolt out of the left half that hides between #3 and #4 lifter bores.
What nut towards the bell housing?

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:20 pm

How about the nut towards the front left side of the case?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:20 pm
How about the nut towards the front left side of the case?
Yeah.
This thread actually is (boring) so far. Let's spiff it up! Thousands of viewers are waiting with bated breath:

Can original VW engines still be successfully rebuilt by their owners?

I can't wait to have an answer.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Well, we can see how long it's been since I logged in!

Started a new job in October, and the bus project was pushed to the backburner.

Although I did took two weeks off between jobs, and got a lot of stuff knocked off the honey-do list:

- built in bookshelves in the backroom (Shannon's been asking for these for at least three years...did come out nice)
- fixed a bunch of dry wall cracks in same said backroom (had to fix the cracks before i could build the bookshelves)
- fixed the attic fan that hasn't worked in at least 4 years
- cleaned all the windows on the house in side and out
- Painted the exterior of the garage and the shed. This was a chore! Took almost 5 gallons of paint. They are both also wood, so had a decent amount of rot, cracks, etc to fix.
- Got my DD caught up on maintenance and repairs...actually, farmed most of this out, but was out of a vehicle for almost the full two weeks.

Unless something major breaks, bus is up next. I'm just going to have to suck it up and ship it out to Cali for the machine work...every machine shop recommendation has been located in Cali.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 am

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 pm
Unless something major breaks, bus is up next. I'm just going to have to suck it up and ship it out to Cali for the machine work...every machine shop recommendation has been located in Cali.

Overpack! Double-box! Triple tape!

Wish me luck, summer tires, Lexus upstate NY trip starts now! See y'all next week!
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:10 pm

This was Eureka Peak, Joshua Tree on thanksgiving. Lots of slidey 4x4 fun. We enjoyed having all terrain tires.

I am due to buy a counterweight crank and have everything balanced at DPR machine shop. They have a good reputation for Type 4 rods etc. It might be worth giving them a call to see who they would trust to check and perhaps machine the case.

http://dprmachine.com

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:18 pm

As advertised, this will be the most boring-est engine build post ever. 'cause I decided to farm it out. Rich Sedoris is going to do it for me. Dropped it off yesterday, but more on Rich in a bit.

I didn't mind investing the time to learn how to do it, However, my biggest fear was that I'd get everything put all back together, and I'd have to rip it back out, and split the case again to fix something I did wrong. I really, really, did not want to have to do this twice.

Rich is genuinely nice guy, and he knows his stuff! His shop was immaculately clean and tidy....until my parts were spewed all over the place. We spent a good 30-45 minutes going over the build, he was very generous with his time. I felt his prices were very reasonable for the quality of work that he does. Initially I was going to have him build a short block, but decided to have him go ahead and build a long block. After he's had a chance to inventory and evaluate all of my parts, he'll let me know what else, if anything, he's going to recommend to have done.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:07 am

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:18 pm
As advertised, this will be the most boring-est engine build post ever. 'cause I decided to farm it out. Rich Sedoris is going to do it for me. Dropped it off yesterday, but more on Rich in a bit.

I didn't mind investing the time to learn how to do it, However, my biggest fear was that I'd get everything put all back together, and I'd have to rip it back out, and split the case again to fix something I did wrong. I really, really, did not want to have to do this twice.

Rich is genuinely nice guy, and he knows his stuff! His shop was immaculately clean and tidy....until my parts were spewed all over the place. We spent a good 30-45 minutes going over the build, he was very generous with his time. I felt his prices were very reasonable for the quality of work that he does. Initially I was going to have him build a short block, but decided to have him go ahead and build a long block. After he's had a chance to inventory and evaluate all of my parts, he'll let me know what else, if anything, he's going to recommend to have done.

Good luck, Troll. I want to drive your bus when it is all done.

Meanwhile, the IAC girls are ploughing ahead and knocking out two Type 4 engine rebuilds here in Miami. First one is done and running well. Second one is midway this morning ...

Torquing connecting rods:

Torquing cylinder heads:

First engine done:

Second engine teardown:

Badly scuffed pistons due to a loose air filter box over three months of dirt road driving, ouch!

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:08 am

Troll....ya coulda done it! These home rebuilds are marathons of long hours of work, emotional highs and lows, and an amazing bonding with inert pieces of metal. 5-1/2 hours cleaning a fan? What, are you crazy! No, I just love these engines. When you do it yourself, you do the things that no shop will do (if they did, it would cost you a king’s ransom). But, even bigger than that, you will KNOW the engine that you have created. When you’re driving, 1000 miles from home, in your bus, you will have an unparalleled satisfaction in the knowledge of the work that you performed. Literally, an experience that you cannot buy.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm

7253D874-72DE-4E50-9D18-4C0EA5A20D8D.jpeg
7253D874-72DE-4E50-9D18-4C0EA5A20D8D.jpeg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 8348 times

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Rich Sadoris has done an awesome job so far, below is a link to one of his instagram albums. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-qjdlIJr1V/

Expec to have it completed by the end of this week or next. Then I just need a weekend with some temps in the 60's and no rain (garage is too short to install the engine inside).

Anyone have a recommendation of how to transport the complete engine home in the back of my truck w/o having it slide around? I was thinking of making a simple wood box that the lower end of the case could sit on...thoughts?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:05 pm
Rich Sadoris has done an awesome job so far, below is a link to one of his instagram albums. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-qjdlIJr1V/

Expec to have it completed by the end of this week or next. Then I just need a weekend with some temps in the 60's and no rain (garage is too short to install the engine inside).

Anyone have a recommendation of how to transport the complete engine home in the back of my truck w/o having it slide around? I was thinking of making a simple wood box that the lower end of the case could sit on...thoughts?

Cardboard is a fine slide brake. Use rope through the case hole at the breather tower, around both bell housing studs and snug it up to your tie-down holes!
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Baby steps, baby steps.....

Got the engine back from Rich in mid May, and then just got SLAMMED at work ...11-14 hour days, moved my daughter to KC, redid two of the bedrooms. So the engine had been sitting forlornly on a harbor freight metal cart. But, I got the engine tins cleaned and repainted two weekends ago, and tonight I got it off the cart and on to my engine stand. I had ordered an engine adapter to use it on my engine stand, and that got delivered today. Nothing planned next weekend, so the goal is to get working on assembling exhaust, and adding the rest of the engine accessories.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod